DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Help Needed Asap! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/102505-help-needed-asap.html)

Chris David August 30th, 2007 02:14 PM

Help Needed Asap!

I'm almost sure I'm in the wrong area, but I need quick help!

Okay, I currently shot a lot of freelance news and firefighting footage. I do a wedding here and there. I'm not HD, yet, but plan to be within the next year.

So here's where I need help.

I currently shoot with a Sony pd-150 and LOVE IT! It does great in low light and does EVERYTHING i need it to do. I was looking for a Sennheniser g2 wirless lapel mic and I ran across a guy locally selling a HVR-Z1U with a G2 for $2300. Is this a good price? Is this good enough to sell off my pd-150 and make the change? Since I'm not set up to switch to HD right away is the DV footage still good on this camera? I just need some expert advice!

I need to decide TONIGHT, so any quick help would be appreciated.

Thank you ALL so much!

Jon Omiatek August 30th, 2007 02:30 PM

The z1 depending on the hours is an awesome deal at that price. You can't even find a fx1 with a g2 for that price

Chris David August 30th, 2007 02:40 PM

He Claims

He claims to have only used the system for short periods twice. He has photos that look good and welcomed me to come by and see it. Do they have drum hour meters like the pd150 does?

I really wasn't in the market for a new camera. I don't want to lose anything making the switch from the pd-150. I want to make sure I'm gaining by this switch at a good price.

Zach Stewart August 30th, 2007 04:18 PM

That is an awesome price, but make sure it isn't a scam. The Z1 does have drum hours and he should be able to pull this up easily in the menu. The only downside with the Z1 is that its low light isn't as good as the PD150 in my opinion. So, if shooting in low light is something that is mucho importante to you then I would consider this. BUT, on the up side is that your getting this camera for almost half its price with a nice wireless mic.

Chris David August 30th, 2007 04:20 PM

Hours

The Hour Meter is as follows:

All hours are under 7x10h.

I really need to make a decission quick or this deal with get snatched up. I need to know if I'm going to take a major hit in the "low light" department from the current pd150 that I have. I shoot A LOT of low light news stuff.

Pleae help!

Tim Snyder August 30th, 2007 04:23 PM

If you don't buy it, tell him to email me. I need a 5th.

John Moon August 30th, 2007 04:50 PM

Chris:
I own a Z1 and that price just for the camera is a good price. I love the image quality of the camera. If you shoot in SD it is great. If you shoot in HD and down convert it is even better. I have not had any major issues with low light. The only time I sometimes encounter low light situations is at the reception. Use a light for a short period to get your shot. My opinion is you have a great deal with that package / price.

Chris David August 30th, 2007 06:12 PM

Buying It

Okay, just got off the phone with the guy, I got all the photos. Looks really sharp and in great shape. I'm meeting him Saturday morning to look over the camera.
Thank you all for your input. If you have any other comparisons to the pd150 in quality difference please let me know.

Chris