Audio backup device ... not iRiver - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 5th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #16
Trustee

Vito, I'll post a review of it (that I posted in another forum) in the audio forum for you and everyone.
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #17
Trustee

Great! Thanks a lot.
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #18
Trustee

Vito, initial review of the NEW Zoom H2 recorder is now posted in the All Things Audio Forum.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=102919
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I went to the store this past weekend and did a touchy feely with a http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=1916 but the only thing that concerned me was no lock button. It was small enough to go in a groom's pocket, as well as the external mic was nice, the price wasn't too bad.
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
I went to the store this past weekend and did a touchy feely with a http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=1916 but the only thing that concerned me was no lock button. It was small enough to go in a groom's pocket, as well as the external mic was nice, the price wasn't too bad.
Steven, read my review.
There is a hold function. To enable "Key Hold" mode you simply hold down the "Menu" key for a second or two. This puts teh unit in "Key Hold" mode. Everything is locked except for menu function, (L/M/H) Gain settings, and power. To unlock form "Key Hold" mode simply hold down the "Menu" key to release the H2 from hold mode.

It's the same hold function as the H4.
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
I just love audio (and video) with a passion, and wish that the majority of people out there would take the audio end as serious as they do the video.
I think that's the hardest part of this job. I get entirely different results from one wedding to the next.

I don't really know too many other people with your experience level in this. You're always quick to pioneer the newest audio gizmos to see how they can be adapted to weddings and we all appreciate it Michael.

I'm almost leaning toward the H4 because I know I'll grow into the XLR capabilities down the road.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele View Post
I think that's the hardest part of this job. I get entirely different results from one wedding to the next.

I don't really know too many other people with your experience level in this. You're always quick to pioneer the newest audio gizmos to see how they can be adapted to weddings and we all appreciate it Michael.

I'm almost leaning toward the H4 because I know I'll grow into the XLR capabilities down the road.
Rick thanks for the compliment.
I do seem to have a bit of an addiction to these new small recorders, as they are so versitile as to what you can do with them when filming an event where discretness is the rule at hand.

I am most likely done purchasing unit for a while though, as I am very happy with what I have. And it even looks like I might be picking up a few more H2's and getting rid of my R09's. I love the R09's but for the price point and added flexability of the H2, it's a no brainer. The H2 isn't perfect (as the R09 has better pre amps), but it's good enough for event recording. For important recoding I'll use my R4 and hyper card mics.

For our purposes as event videographers the H4 is a great choice. As having a reliable, affordable, a 2 channel (independantly adjustable), balanced XLR inputs, with 48v phantom power in a small form factor is a great addition to a videographers audio kit.

If I were to make any suggestions to videographers wanting to capture good uncompressed audio, would be to pickup a Zoom H4 (to use with either the onboard mics, or most importantly 2 seperate mics preferably hyper cards). As well as a Zoom H2 for small lav micing, and great built in mic versatility.

Record always at least at 16/48 wav to match your camera, 24/96 even better, and you are set.
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Rick thanks for the compliment.
I do seem to have a bit of an addiction to these new small recorders, as they are so versitile as to what you can do with them when filming an event where discretness is the rule at hand.

I am most likely done purchasing unit for a while though, as I am very happy with what I have. And it even looks like I might be picking up a few more H2's and getting rid of my R09's. I love the R09's but for the price point and added flexability of the H2, it's a no brainer. The H2 isn't perfect (as the R09 has better pre amps), but it's good enough for event recording. For important recoding I'll use my R4 and hyper card mics.

For our purposes as event videographers the H4 is a great choice. As having a reliable, affordable, a 2 channel (independantly adjustable), balanced XLR inputs, with 48v phantom power in a small form factor is a great addition to a videographers audio kit.

If I were to make any suggestions to videographers wanting to capture good uncompressed audio, would be to pickup a Zoom H4 (to use with either the onboard mics, or most importantly 2 seperate mics preferably hyper cards). As well as a Zoom H2 for small lav micing, and great built in mic versatility.

Record always at least at 16/48 wav to match your camera, 24/96 even better, and you are set.

Hey Michael, have you had issues with the units being turned off accidentally, while in the grooms pocket or otherwise.
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Hey Michael, have you had issues with the units being turned off accidentally, while in the grooms pocket or otherwise.
The H4 is a bit large to put in pockets. If you check Michael's review of the H2 in the audio forum, you'll see that the hold issue is covered well there.
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
The H4 is a bit large to put in pockets. If you check Michael's review of the H2 in the audio forum, you'll see that the hold issue is covered well there.
Hey Vito, I did a scan, do you have a link to the post where the 'hold' issue is covered?
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Hey Vito, I did a scan, do you have a link to the post where the 'hold' issue is covered?
Steve, look a few posts up and see my reply to your "Hold" function question and the H2.

I also addressed it in my review and answered a hold question that Vito had on that page a swell.
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Steve, look a few posts up and see my reply to your "Hold" function question and the H2.

I also addressed it in my review and answered a hold question that Vito had on that page a swell.

Thanks Michael, that was good stuff. I'm considering investing in the H2.
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #28
New Boot

What Lav mics are you using with the H4/H2 when connecting to the groom/minister?

By the way great thread! and ofcourse initial review of the H2.

/Björn
Bjorn Wikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Wikman View Post
What Lav mics are you using with the H4/H2 when connecting to the groom/minister?

By the way great thread! and ofcourse initial review of the H2.

/Björn
Don't use a lav with the H4, as it's too large to use in this manner. That and there is no 1/8 lav input if needed anyway. The H4 is designed for use with 1/4 or XLR mics for field use.

As for the H2, and lav mic will work as long as it has a 1/8 input. I have been using the Giant Squid mics. They are inexpensive and great sounding.

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-mono1.htm

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com...ocardioid.html

EDIT: Just of note. If you purchase the H2 and would like to use a lav mic, then ake usre that you turn "Mic POwer" to "On", in the menu. Otherwise your lav mic most likely will not work.

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; September 7th, 2007 at 03:17 PM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #30
New Boot

Quote:
Don't use a lav with the H4, as it's too large to use in this manner. That and there is no 1/8 lav input if needed anyway. The H4 is designed for use with 1/4 or XLR mics for field use.

As for the H2, and lav mic will work as long as it has a 1/8 input. I have been using the Giant Squid mics. They are inexpensive and great sounding.

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-mono1.htm

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com...ocardioid.html

Thanks Michael. Seriously considering getting a pair.
/Björn.
Bjorn Wikman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques