On Camera light during reception - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 14th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post

The only thing that I wish PAG would do is make the light dimmable, and not just spot focusable.
That's what I love about my other light NRG Varalux (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ux_Pro_DC.html)
whci lets me dim the light from 100w to 10 w without any color shift. but I need a lot of power to run the light all night, and have to use a large battery belt to do so. So I use my Varalux light on my 2nd camera on a tripod to greater light spread, and the PAG light on my camera for mobile shooting.
Hey Michael, did you get your NRG light as a kit? If so, what kit? I'm still weighing my options on what second light to get.
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Hey Michael, did you get your NRG light as a kit? If so, what kit? I'm still weighing my options on what second light to get.
No I purchsed each piece seperately, as there is no kit that I was able to find.
Varalux Professional Dimmable DC On-Camera Light - with 4-pin XLR Connector (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ux_Pro_DC.html)

Power-Max, Perpetual Power Series Battery Belt, NiCd 13.2V/95WH, Dual 4-Pin XLR Output Connectors, Interchangeable Cellpack, Size Regular (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ual_Power.html)

Cellpack, Perpetual Power Series Battery Pack, NiCd 12V/65WH, Interchangeable Cellpack (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ual_Power.html)

Expensive, but worth it.
The light is fantastic and the battery belt, that is battery changeable is as versitile as you can get.

I originally purchased the power Pro + system, and purchased the larger battery belt later on. I would recommend getting the larger more powerful battery belt first, like I listed. The reason being that the belt is more substantial and more comfortable to wear. And although, with the Power Pro belt, you can switchout the smaller Power Pro battery for the larger Power Pro Max battery, the larger battery is actually a bit to heavy for the smaller belt. So better to go the other way and get the larger belt with the longer battery run and then a smaller one if desired.
I originally ordered the Power Pro+ belt in Med (30-40) (but got too big for it), so I ordered a regular Power Pro Max belt from NRG (without the battery), since it ahs a better size range (30-42). And, as I said, am gald I did as it is a better belt.

Although of course you could go with the smaller Power-Pro+, Perpetual Power Series Battery Belt (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Power.html), and get extra packs to swap out when needed.

The great thing about the Power Pro series belts is that you can shoot long runs with your light, and have (charged) reserve packs in your bag to swap out if needed.

Just remember, if you order one of these belts to make sure that you select the right size. Or you might outgrow it like my fat ass did. Working on getting that end back down though.
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Thanks Michael.
Old September 19th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #49
New Boot

On Camera Light

I took the camera light that came with my first VHS camcorder (Panasonic), which had a 10W 12V lamp. It had a hot shoe bottom, which slid into my new Panasonic. I then connected 6 feet of extension cord wire, a puchbutton switch and a sealed (very important) lead acid battery. I have used it in very low light situations and it worked when within 10 feet or less.
George Mentzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #50
Regular Crew

I have a question, which of these lighting kits will last more than 3 hrs?.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...gh&fi=all&pn=2
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Since I have the Bescor light with both a belt and juice box I can tell you that none of them will UNLESS...
1) you use less than a 50W bulb or if a dimmable you dial it down
2) at that you use the battery belt which has 2 batteries instead of 1 like the juice box battery.

When I do use it I use a 30W bulb with a softbox andthe run time obviously go up. With the juice box the run time with a 50W is about 75 minutes-the belt is about 2hours 30 minutes.
With a 30 watt bulb the run time of the juice box goes to about 110 minutes and the battery belt goes to about 3hours 30 minutes or so. YMMV.
HTHs
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques