9-8-7 Wedding Day Edit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 12th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Major Player

9-8-7 Wedding Day Edit

This was a very unique WDE. The Groom is the brother of the Bride who is the featured WDE on our Movie Gallery page. The 2007 WEVA Gold CEA in the Instant Edit Category. The Mother of the Groom and the Bride had an appointment with us the Friday after WEVA, so we got to show her the Gold CEA from her daughters wedding. Kody, the Bride, insisted that we use the same song. Kody had a son who is 5. You will see a cute blonde headed boy in several shots. That is Tanner.

The ceremony was over around 6:45 and Trisha finished the edit by 9:00. When we were ready to roll to tape the laptop made blue glitches on the camera LCD. After several attempts, rebooting and changing firewire cables, we made an Avi of the project on the external drive and hooked up the back up laptop. Back ups are so important. I am now adding our portable DVD player and a 6 ft. and 30 ft. VGA cable to our WDE cable bag.

Trisha did all of the editing. I spent a couple of minutes on the audio of their vows. If you know Trisha, you know she doesn't have to have things in sequential order, so there is a fair amount of time shifting. I think it works because it didn't throw me for a loop and I'm more of a sequential guy. Let me know what you think.

It was a 12 minute presentation. I just encoded the WDE portion. We also enocoded this at a higher bit rate, so let me know if it plays back okay.

http://tulsaweddingvideos.com/video/RWWDE.wmv
Mark Von Lanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Mark - looks great. are you using a steadicam or similar device? I also noticed you use either the Z1U or FX1 sony cams...for the WDE do you edit in HDV or use the cams built in conversion to SD? If you are editing in HDV, how long does it take to dump it back to tape with the render times and such?

I am also a sequential guy, but the time shifts didn't bother me at all so i think they worked out well. Good job.
Zach Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I didn't mind the time shift either but on the other hand I see no reason for it in this instance. I like a good flashback like maybe during the kiss but there seemed to be no reason for it.
Also, there were a few shots that seemed a bit out of focus, although that may have been intentional?
All in all I liked it. It's not easy to pull off a good edit so fast. Good job!
Adam Hoggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #4
Major Player

beautiful work. To do something like that in so short a time is close to miraculous
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Stewart View Post
Mark - looks great. are you using a steadicam or similar device? I also noticed you use either the Z1U or FX1 sony cams...for the WDE do you edit in HDV or use the cams built in conversion to SD? If you are editing in HDV, how long does it take to dump it back to tape with the render times and such?

I am also a sequential guy, but the time shifts didn't bother me at all so i think they worked out well. Good job.
Hi Zach,

Thanks. All of the non ceremony shots were handheld. We shoot with the Z1s. Because this client did not go with the HD edit upgrade, we edited the WDE in DV. We downconverted in the camera to capture the DV files.

We did do an HDV WDE in July because the client wanted the finished product in HD. We edit in Edius and the workflow was the same as DV until it's time to output. Because the projector could not handle HD, we output to DV. Once the presentation was over we changed the project settings back to HDV. It took Edius about 15-20 minutes to make an HDV file to go to tape.

I'm glad you liked the time shifts.
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hoggatt View Post
I didn't mind the time shift either but on the other hand I see no reason for it in this instance. I like a good flashback like maybe during the kiss but there seemed to be no reason for it.
Also, there were a few shots that seemed a bit out of focus, although that may have been intentional?
All in all I liked it. It's not easy to pull off a good edit so fast. Good job!
Hi Adam,

I'm sorry the time shift didn't work for you. I know the groom reaction shot was soft on the focus. That was not intentional. The red flower shot with the B&G in the background was intentional. Thanks for the feedback.
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bennett View Post
beautiful work. To do something like that in so short a time is close to miraculous
Hi Doug,

Thanks for your kind words. Close to miraculous? I don't know about that, but it does take careful planning.
Old September 12th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #8
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Close to miraculous? I don't know about that, but it does take careful planning.
I'll echo what Mark said about how important the proper planning is. I would also add that practice seems to be just as important for us. A the beginning of the year, I was taking 3.5 hours to do an SD same-day edit that was pretty rough compared to what we are doing now. Last weekend I did an SDE that was about 2.5 minutes and it as cut in under an hour, on a laptop, in HD24p. The practice and planning makes all the difference.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #9
Major Player

Mark and Trish....great job especially with SDE. VO really adds another dimension.

Thanks for sharing.

John
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Wow

The emotion in this film is priceless. You give me something to aspire to.
Ken Gilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #11
Major Player

Great work...cant believe you can output something in the same day. Im hanging my head in shame. Im just starting a wedding I shot in June
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
Mark and Trish....great job especially with SDE. VO really adds another dimension.

Thanks for sharing.

John
Hi John,

Thanks. It's so nice when the B&G say personal vows instead of repeating what the minister says.
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gilford View Post
The emotion in this film is priceless. You give me something to aspire to.
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the kind words. There is going to be a video conference in Orlando in January. I don't think it's too far from you. You should check it out.
http://4evergroup.org/conventionandtradeshow.shtml
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cash View Post
Great work...cant believe you can output something in the same day. Im hanging my head in shame. Im just starting a wedding I shot in June
Hi John,

Thanks. Keep your head up. We have a backlog much deeper than that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques