Poor audio from referee's Mic ! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 19th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Poor audio from referee's Mic !

I film Rugby games, this week, for the first time, the referee, wanted to be mike'd up for his personal copy of the tape. It's a Guinness Premiership match.Newcastle v Sales Sharks.
I was given the Sennheiser G2 receiver before the kick off by the fourth official. The same type of system I use week in, week out for weddings.
I checked the frequency on both transmitter and receiver they matched.( it was the refs own) so I left it as was, didn't pay any attention to what it was set to,to be honest, just noted that it was the same on both!
Well when both teams and officials were in the tunnel, I switched on the receiver, listening through the headphones, Awful! When the ref took the field, the game kicked off in seconds, I altered all my audio settings on the Canon G2/XM2 Camera, Still awful. You could just about hear him giving his instructions to the players, but it wasn't any good. I didn’t use my Z1 because he didn’t have an XLR on his receiver.
Now I film from the stands on the Television gantry , there's the press box below me, laptops, mobile phones, stewards with walkie talkies, loads of interference, so I wasn't really surprised the sound was so bad. I gave up after a few minutes, and un plugged it!
I know ideally I would have done a sound check before he took the field, but it's not practical in this stadium, both logistically and budget wise!
I've heard good audio feed from a referee on the TV, so know it can be done.
Plus when i looked him it looked like the mike was flying all over place anyway, I think that may have been the problem!
Any tips Please?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques