Do you ask brides whether they want progressive or interlaced? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 24th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #31
Regular Crew

My point in all this was that saying all brides want a movie look was delivered as an absolute statement.

And we all know... only a SITH speaks in absolutes! :)
Colby Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #32
Regular Crew

lets just hire the 5 year olds and forget about doing the work. So far nobody has brought up filming a wedding with camera phones. we could start a whole new trend.
ask the bride...
1 do you want hd or sd
2 progressive or interlaced
3 5 year old doing the work
4 camera phones
5 how about the editing software
6 do you want 1 or 3 dvd copies
7 do you want color disks
8 what type of disks
9 and so on,,, and so on,,,

personaly i think the camera phone would start a whole new trend. they are making movies with them now. just one question,,,, would that be interlaced or progressive cell phone video
Kenneth Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #33
Major Player

Mike, absolutely right.
I wasn't making a judgment in general about anything, except for the specific question asked.

Colby and Kenneth, you seem to be taking this as a personal attack. You said it, Kenneth, I can't win.
And, honestly, I don't really care that much. I do think shooting progressive is the best answer for the original question, but... //shrug.
You don't have to agree with me.

Colby, I meant to say that progressive is better than interlaced in this case. I didn't mean to use inductive logic to prove that all brides want the movie look. You're the one taking it as an absolute. Would you feel better if I gave it as a percent? Heh.

Kenneth, if you could shoot on 35mm file with no disadvantage, would you? Of course. In the same sense, progressive is, as far as I know from most people I have talked to, better. Interlaced doesn't make something worthless, but, generally, progressive is better. No?
You're taking the 5 year old example too far.
And, yeah, you're right. It IS better to not shoot with a camera phone. So isn't more resolution better? Isn't a less accessible, professional format better? Is progressive not this?
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Colby, I meant to say that progressive is better than interlaced in this case. I didn't mean to use inductive logic to prove that all brides want the movie look. You're the one taking it as an absolute. Would you feel better if I gave it as a percent?
As a matter of fact... :)

Just kidding. This made for good dialogue and your opinions are respected.
Colby Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Johnson View Post
personaly i think the camera phone would start a whole new trend. they are making movies with them now. just one question,,,, would that be interlaced or progressive cell phone video
Hmm... there might be something to that. Just like people often go for that "old film look" with the scratches, discoloration, whatever, you could do a "cell phone look", with the low bitrate, low resolution, 15fps look.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
Hmm... there might be something to that. Just like people often go for that "old film look" with the scratches, discoloration, whatever, you could do a "cell phone look", with the low bitrate, low resolution, 15fps look.
yes but we still have the same question do you ask the bride progressive or interlaced?? I personaly do not know af any cell phones that are interchangable but perhaps the sony might team up with at&t and make one.

Camera phone with large sensor.
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20060217148.html

alright,,,WHO toke my idea and got the patent

NEC develops 8MP CMOS sensor for cameraphones
http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/25/n...-cameraphones/

CamPhone Lens Turret
Aftermarket camera phone faceplate with lens selector

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/CamPhone_20Lens_20Turret

do we not have anything better to do with are time guys????

I think we got so busy asking the brides about what type of video to shoot that they decided not to get married as it was too much of a hassle to get a video photographer.
Kenneth Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #37
Major Player

If they are going to watch the DVD in a movie theatre, shoot progressive.
If they are going to watch it on a normal interlaced TV set, shoot interlaced!
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #38
Major Player

And a progressive TV set? Projector? Computer?

Interlaced TVs can display progressive just fine. It just shows every other line each time, so it's just a choppier way of displaying the progressive frame and it will look the same to the viewer in the end.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques