DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Good quality wireless lav mic for weddings? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/104019-good-quality-wireless-lav-mic-weddings.html)

Bobbi Urban September 20th, 2007 07:52 PM

Good quality wireless lav mic for weddings?

I need recommendations on a solid, reliable wireless lav mic for shooting weddings. I want something that will not run into interference, but I'm hoping for a price point of no more than $500. Is that possible? I have to admit, I have a bit to learn about audio. Is there a recommended book or resource for learning about audio for weddings? Also, are you willing to share the specific system you use, how many mics you have and where you put them and instructions on how to plug into the church's sound system (or does it differ according to the church)? We use a Sony FX1 and a Canon XH-A1. We use iRivers for back up, though the sound is definitely not the quality I prefer. It seems like Shure is a trusted brand. Thanks for your help!

Mark Von Lanken September 20th, 2007 09:15 PM

Hi Bobbi,

Yes, it's possible. I have used a cheap Azden and the Samson UM-1, and the Sennheiser G2 is a much better wireless system. When I started using the Sennheiser systems my audio became much better and I spent less time EQing in post.

I actually have two of the older Sennheiser EW100s and two of the Sennheiser G2 systems. You may want to consider spending $100 more and get a G2 with the XLR plug. With the XLR plug, along with a handheld XLR mic, you can use it to get audio of musicians during the ceremony, audio of the band or DJ during the reception as well as using it for interviews. In addition to that you can use the XLR plug to get a direct feed from a soundboard.

Some boards have an XLR output and others have quarter inch. If you get a Pro-Co AV1 box, it will cover you in just about any scenario.

So a typical audio setup for a wedding would be a wireless on the minister and a wireless on the groom as a minimum. If there is a second minister we will use a third wireless. If there are readers from a podium, strings, guitarists, pianists, etc. we use Mini Disc recorders or iRivers. We have 4 MDs and I just recently added an iRiver.

If the church has a good soundman and a CD burner I will supply a blank CD and ask them to burn the ceremony to CD. If they don't have a CD burner I will plug a MD into the board through the Pro-Co AV1. I only do this if the soundman seems to have it together, but even then, I don't like to rely on someone else for my audio.

Timothy Harry September 21st, 2007 01:12 PM

I second Marks Recs. We use a G2, and the plug on transmitter is one of the best investments we made. I got the 500 series, but the 100 series is incredible too. You will end up buying twice if you buy a cheap-o system, which costs more than doing it right the first time.

Bobbi Urban September 21st, 2007 02:06 PM

Follow-up

Mark, your message what really helpful. Thank you.

A follow-up question. What about the fact that this Sennheiser G2 unit is unbalanced, non-diversity? Is this an issue. I thought it was important for the wireless unit to be a balanced, diversity system. Again, I have much to learn. Do you mind looking at this and see if this is the right system you are recommending?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=324227&is=REG
Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series - Camera Mountable UHF Wireless Lavalier and Plug-On Bundle with EK100G2 Receiver, SKP100G2 Plug-On Transmitter, SK100G2 BodyPack Transmitter and ME2 Microphone
$599

Mark Von Lanken September 22nd, 2007 11:15 AM

Hi Bobbi,

I always thought a diversity system was better than a non diversity system. The cheap Azden and the Samson UM1 were both diversity systems and the both had frequent drop outs. I do not experience the audio drop outs with the G2 and the mic also sounds much better.

If you want a balanced Sennheiser you have to step up to the system that Timothy has. For me, I just need XLR connections, so even though they are not balanced XLRs, it just wasn't worth the price difference, especially when you consider two systems.

Yes, that is the link to the system I have. For a second system you don't have to get the SKP100 Plug-On transmitter. That will save you $100.

Marcus Marchesseault September 22nd, 2007 05:11 PM

I really doubt that balanced makes a difference on such a short cable run. I also think it is more important to first get a good wireless before worrying about a diversity system. My worst wireless was a cheap diversity system. I threw away about $400 before getting my Lectrosonics which is flawless. The G2 was not available at the time or I might have considered something more affordable but I had already decided I should buy the best available. I have now had that system since about 1999 which gives you an indication of how spending money on a wireless isn't a waste.

Jon McGuffin September 22nd, 2007 08:58 PM

I have the G2 and *LOVE* it... highly recommended...