Is a tripod really needed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 22nd, 2007, 11:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is a tripod really needed?

For the time being I'm going to be using 1 camera, and don't worry i'm not going to charge an arm and a leg.

I'm imagining..

http://garrysbox.com/example.JPG

Bride comes down the isle, im in position #1. When the bride is given away (With 1st year only no interest special) i back into #2, then return to #3 for the preacher and groom, then #4 for the bride, back to #3 for final words and then back up for leaving.

In this situation It would be useful to have a tripod, but you wouldn't need a really good one, there wouldn't be any panning. For the rest of the shots I think a steadicam would be best really.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Boyd Ostroff; September 23rd, 2007 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Removed OT/Political comment
Jordan Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 12:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Have you thought about a monopod which would probably suit you better if you are going be moving around all over the place.

Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 12:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craig View Post
Have you thought about a monopod which would probably suit you better if you are going be moving around all over the place.

Alan
Yes, i've thought about it, wasn't sure if i would be able to be as stable as I would like though, to be honest i haven't used one much.

What do you guys think?
Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Berry View Post
im in position #1. When the bride is given away (With 1st year only no interest special) i back into #2, then return to #3 for the preacher and groom, then #4 for the bride, back to #3 for final words and then back up for leaving.
Good luck with this flitting around. Any minister or priest here in Scotland would have a fit if I started moving around during the service.

We have to be stationery, on a tripod, from the brides arrival until the end of the ceremony. They are very strict about this here. Most photographers get banned to the balcony in the church, while we get to stay of to the left or right of the bride and groom, but always stationery!
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Sounds fun!

I guess that makes things easier then huh..

I think i'm just going to tell the bride at the rehearsal my plan and see what she thinks.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:11 AM   #6
Trustee

I'm only new at it all, but I've already learnt that the camera needs to be stable - thus tripod - or monopod.

I put a decent head on a monopod, plus a dead weedeater handle (black - looks like a professional accessory :-) ) and while I have not use it yet, in playing around with it, I can hold it as steady as, as easy as, with one hand on the pan and tilt handle and the other on the 'accessory' handle.

Having the head on it is great because any movement required can come through pan and tilting, not tipping the whole monopod over.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:33 AM   #7
Inner Circle

anything you use to steady and stabilise the camera will improve your shots 150%-threr is simply no way around it. Even when I use a full size camera for a ceremony I use a tripod with dolly wheels UNLESS there simply isn't roo to get around and that only happens 1 time a year or so but at least with a full size you have a fighting chance of keeping it fairl steady during the processional. If using a small form factor then IMO a tripod or monopod is 100% necessary. As for all the moving most churches in my area will let me work from the front for the processional and then during the priests welcome I move to the rear center. I used to shoot like this 20+ years ago when many of us only had 1 camera and even today it seems to work the best. Keep movement to a minimum or someone (the guy with the white collar) is likey to get a annoyed and perhaps ask you to leave. I've seen it happen.
STEADY STEADY SOLID footage is what people want to see not a bunch of movement. Invest in a decent tripod and head or at least a monopod and STEADY as ya go!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

So you don't think i should even ask to be able to move around in front of the front row? It's really not a lot of movement, once everything starts you would just move a few feet, since you're so close to the bride and groom.

I'd rather stay away from just a single shot from the isle, but If thats what i gotta do, i'll do it.

I guess I'm desperate for different angle without the budget to buy more xh a1s, and yes i've thought of using a different camera, won't happen.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:03 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
So you don't think i should even ask to be able to move around in front of the front row?
Jordan...
My advice is to ask the minister first, it is his church and you must work under his rules.

If you can - negotiate with him politely, but dont take the huff, or he will banish you to the balcony, also think of the guests, they wont want some block prancing about with a camera in front of them!

My advice is get a decent tripod in a fixed position so you get the bride groom and hopefull the guests in view and use you zoom and slow pans to capture your footage and with creative editing you will have a quality product for the customer. You want facIial reactions and emotion. Remember its a wedding, use you glide cam stuff during the photos and dancing!
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:07 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Agreed, glidecam is for before / after!

I'm actually more concerned about pissing off the guests then anymore else.

Most weddings around here aren't in a church, and the priest is a contracted one who could care less.. haha
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:14 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Agreed, glidecam is for before / after!

I'm actually more concerned about pissing off the guests then anymore else.

Most weddings around here aren't in a church, and the priest is a contracted one who could care less.. haha
well if thats the case id tell the bride you idea... so that she doesnt get a suprise..good luck!
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:17 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allister Gourlay View Post
well if thats the case id tell the bride you idea... so that she doesnt get a suprise..good luck!
Alright haha.

I guess I need a tripod then..
Old September 23rd, 2007, 08:18 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Where I live, Officiants are used to movement by photogs/Videogs. I've never had anyone not want me to move around. But that's not the case everywhere.

Anyway, have you considered a flowpod? It's basically a steadicam and monopod mixed:

http://www.varizoom.com/products/stabilizers/vzfp.html
Adam Hoggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:41 AM   #14
Inner Circle

In Belgium the priests don't like it either when I walk around, therefore I allways use a tripod from a fixed location. Only when there is music playing I move to another spot to get better shots from the guests. The biggest advantage from a tripod is that you can zoom in competely which gives you some great close ups from the family and because you are far away they don't notice and you get a natural behaviour as well. I take a lot of these zoomed in guest shots which are an easy way to make your video look like a multicam shoot if you work alone. The only time I take the camera from the tripod is when they put on the rings or when they light the candle.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #15
New Boot

Is Tripod Necessary?

Instead of doing the Foxtrot, find a position that would allow reasonable field of view for the entire ceremony with as little movement as possible. One wedding had no one on the first row on either side, so I just sat and shot. I would have really been able to use a monopod though. See if you can make the rehearsal so you at least have an idea where everyone SHOULD be standing, and leave some room for error.
George Mentzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques