'Can I copy your stuff?' - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Closed Thread

Old October 1st, 2007, 10:08 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Quote:
The primary case quoted IIRC is the betamax case, where "fair use" was first put forward as a legal theory - it established that an end user has the right to make a copy... but that case is ancient history in a digital world, and I understand it is under constant attack...
It's also under constant defense. If I buy a CD I should be allowed to put the songs from it on my MP3 player. And I can legally. Media companies always try to come up with new ways of not letting me do it, and that's their legal right, but I can and will still find ways of doing it (as long as it remains legal).

Quote:
I guess you should always ask yourself the question is it RIGHT to COPY this work? If it was yours, would you want it dup'ed? Would you want it used in the way it's going to be used (keep in mind there are exceptions for parody). MOST IMPORTANTLY, would you feel ripped off if someone used YOUR stuff and didn't pay for it's use?? If you're not comfortable in the slightest, rethink what you're about to do.
If an artist produces an album for distribution he is already having it dup'ed. That's how the Bride and Groom got it in the first place. I think if the artist has a work published and someone buys it, they shouldn't be too upset if that person wants to put it in their wedding video.

But again, this doesn't answer what the law says and I think that's because it's subject to interpretation. If and when there is a legal precedent for this very issue, there will be a definite answer to the question. Until then I think we are stuck just guessing and either playing it safe with royalty free music or taking a chance that we could be the first one to have a court test the law on us. But I still feel that if the bride and groom buy music, they should be allowed to have me put it in their video. I feel strongly that that would be completely fair to the artist.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:36 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hoggatt View Post
...But I still feel that if the bride and groom buy music, they should be allowed to have me put it in their video. I feel strongly that that would be completely fair to the artist.
I would agree that's the way it should be if the world was fair and if the video is the B&G's own personal copy. Too bad they didn't ask us before making the law. It would also be great if the US and Canada would enact licensing schemes such as Australia and the UK have that allow for such limited use copying as wedding coverage at low cost but alas, there seems to be no interest on the part of music publishers and recording studios to wsupport such as move. (And if you use a popular recording you have to deal with botyh - the copyright on the music and the copyright on the specific recording).

But consider if the B&G were to order multiple copies of the DVD from you and give them to their friends and family. Now it would be the same situation as buying a music CD, making a bunch of copies, and giving them away as presents. Clearly illegal.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I also encourage clients to do their own copying or if they prefer I will do it but then I will charge for it, I hardly get any requests for extra copies but that's fine by me.
I seem to always get requests for extra copies. I, like most of you print the DVD covers on Premium glossy photo paper, and I also use Taiyo Yuden Watershield Glossy hub printable DVD's. I don't mind if they make copies of the DVD, but they don't get the quality look I offer them through the case cover & printer glossy disc.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:07 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
I would agree that's the way it should be if the world was fair and if the video is the B&G's own personal copy. Too bad they didn't ask us before making the law.
Which law would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
But consider if the B&G were to order multiple copies of the DVD from you and give them to their friends and family. Now it would be the same situation as buying a music CD, making a bunch of copies, and giving them away as presents. Clearly illegal.
Once I deliver the product, that's their business.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:41 PM   #50
Major Player

Gentlemen,

Excuse me if I seem out of order for commenting on this on-going spirited discussion of legal and illegal copying but hasn't this issue been brought up several times, in many other threads, over the course of time.

It almost comes across as though person #1 is trying to persuade person #2 to see things person #1's way and vice versa.

If you have an issue with making copies of anything at all, then don't make the copies. If you're OK with making copies, encouraging others to make copies, aiding someone in making copies, or any other thing that has to do with copies, then by all means, continue doing what you feel comfortable with.

No one is going to convince the other to see things his way.

That's just my point of view.

Jeff
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #51
Obstreperous Rex

I think Jeff has summed things up quite well... some stubborn people need to realize that they're not going to change the minds of other stubborn people.

I've cleaned up this thread a little bit; there were some references to guns and murder for hire, of all things, which I really don't want on my web site.

This is going around in circles, so it's time to put it out of its misery... thread closed.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques