DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   please critique this highlight video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/104990-please-critique-highlight-video.html)

Don Bazley October 4th, 2007 12:40 PM

please critique this highlight video

Hi there all! I've been somewhat inactive on these boards in the last few months because I've been busy doing weddings. I've also accepted a full-time job at Cornell University for the school year, as my production company is only in it's first year. It's good to have benefits again.

Here's a highlight video from a wedding shot on the Cornell campus a couple of months ago. I wouldn't call it the final edit but the clients have seen it on Youtube (groom is in Chicago for the semster) and they loved it. Not only does that take some anxiety away, but it really does make me feel good about the business I'm in. I especially like comments from the client received via e-mail with lots of "!!!!". :)

I see at least three things I can fix in editing. I'm looking for input from others. Also, this was my first real shoot using the Magiqcam. I still have a lot to learn about balancing and working that thing. Therefore I used it sparingly. BTW: I added this montage to the basic (no montages) package for no charge because I want video of weddings from the Cornell campus for demos. I also had the time (then) and wanted to play. Please consider the usual disclaimer about the quality/compression of Youtube. It looks MUCH better on disk. :)

(Sony PD 170/VX2100... Adobe Premier/AE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU__N8HoU00

In other news...Last weekend I did a wedding at the Sage Chapel (the larger, more beautiful chapel on the Cornell campus). That was a great one. The groom was a composer and he had a 30 -man choir, string quartet and piano. It was quite the ceremony. They called me at the last minute (one week prior) and I'm happy I was available. Now I have 2 weddings shot at Cornell I can use as demos. BTW: The groom told me that the style of my website is what sold them on hiring me. Money well invested.

-Don B.

John Moon October 4th, 2007 01:00 PM

Don:
Overall I liked it. I would consider looking at using more straight cuts vs. the cross dissolves. Personally I'm not a big fan of using too many cross dissolves. Maybe its something with the delivery of the video but it appears that some shots need white balancing, which can be done in post. But if the client likes it...then that's really all that counts. Good job.
John

Don Bazley October 4th, 2007 01:50 PM

Thanks for the comments John. You picked up on one of the things I intend to tweak. I also intend to bring the chroma down a bit on a few of the shots.

-Don

Adam Hoggatt October 4th, 2007 02:08 PM

Don, nice video! I liked the flow and it told a great story.

I was going to advise using a stabilizer when I reread your post that you had one. I'm not sure which shots you used it in but get to know it and learn to use it. Good stabilized shots will give your videos a huge boost!

Nice job!

Michael Nistler October 4th, 2007 04:51 PM

Wedding video feedback

Hi Don,

Thanks for sharing - very nice job and I'm sure your customer will love it.

Regarding areas for improvement, IMHO here the priority:

- Bring up the camera, it's often framed way too low (remember the rule of thirds).

- Decrease the music during the vows (another 20dB should help); you're on the right track with the fade in/out but still have a way to go. If you add more sound bites during the rest of the video, it would be a BIG plus.

- Whenever possible, improve the lighting (reduce facial shadows); apparently you used a second cameraman - get help using a reflector on your outdoors shot, etc.

- I also felt the cross-disolves were too noticeable; try shorting the transition time for most disolves if you wan to keep that effect.

Anyway, these are all minor nits - the video was very enjoyable.

Warm Regards, Michael

Don Bazley October 8th, 2007 01:54 PM

As always, I'd like say thank you to that all that have offered their comments. The people on this board have been quite helpful. I still have some fine-tuning to do with this highlight video. Thanks again.

-Don