Golden rules? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 9th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Golden rules?

Here's the main 3 for me..

1. Attend rehearsal.

2. Use unmanned cameras too, useful for both video AND audio.

3. Play it safe when editing regards fx, transitions, graphics & titles etc. Keep it neutral, what YOU think looks cool someone else might hate.

Anyone want to add to this list?

I've gotta go now and add the music (love that bit!) and titles to our latest project...
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #2
Major Player

I'll add one:

The client pays you for your talent, not the product, and they are responsible for researching your portfolio before the wedding. Your contract is for consultancy, so you are not liable if they don't like the style of it. (If they don't trust you at signing, they shouldn't sign.)

I've never had a client not like my work, but as a graphic designer I used to deal with this often. Before I saw myself as a consultant I blew a lot of "volunteer" time reworking jobs to capture that illusive picture in my client's head that they could never describe.

Today I have the client pay $100/hr for any reworks. I stick to it (unless I'm in the wrong) because that conviction reveals my confidence; and I better darn well have confidence in my work or nobody would hire me.
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #3
Trustee

I think every videographer has their own set of golden rules for weddings. What may apply to you may not apply to everyone else. For example, I don't go to rehearsals, and I don't use unmanned cameras.

My golden rules are:
1. Always check and test your gear before every gig.
2. Have backup equipment loaded and ready to go when your primary equipment fails (it's not a matter of if, it's when)
3. Bring twice the amount of batteries and tapes you think you'll need.
4. Always be on time!
5. Be sure to make friends with the photographer and caterer, they'll refer tons of jobs to you later if you're easy to work with.
5. Always give the customer a little more than they expect. Tell them you'll deliver in a week, but deliver in 5 days. Tell them they'll get 1 copy, but give them 3....etc.
6. Always have your business cards with you
7. Never argue with the bride or her mom!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #4
Trustee

Head cleaning tapes.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #5
Major Player

All of the above, plus two more:

1. Before departing the for event, visually check that all equipment on the checklist is actually loaded in the vehicle.

2. Final payment in hand prior to wedding.
Old October 9th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #6
Major Player

Remember to press the record button on the camcorder! (No really, I did this once many years ago, never again!)
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Get paid 100% up front first. (Before applying any other rule)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele View Post
Get paid 100% up front first. (Before applying any other rule)

Is this really common practice?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tomkowiak View Post
1. Before departing the for event, visually check that all equipment on the checklist is actually loaded in the vehicle.
MAN is that a good one... after getting burned twice for not following through. I thought to myself "oh its all in the bag"... WRONG! My 2 year old loves to go through mommy's camera stuff!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Is this really common practice?
Don't know if its common, but its our practice as well. I require payment 2 weeks before to allow time for checks to clear. Works great here!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #11
Major Player

I also expect payment in full before the wedding. I usually ask for a $200 deposit to secure the date, with the remaining balance due the day of the wedding (or before).
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #12
Major Player

I'm a little more lax on payment. I require 50% to secure the date and the rest on the wedding day. Usually I don't get the check until the reception -- that's when folks are a bit less on edge, and they are surrounded by folks they want to impress, so they're not going to give me a hassle -- in fact I sometimes get a nice tip. In the worst case scenario, which I cannot imagine, I get paid 50% of a 30hr job and only had to film 7hrs or so.
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #13
Still Motion

We take a 30% deposit, 50% two weeks before the wedding, and 20% upon delivery. I wouldn't want to pay 100% up front, so I don't see why we should ask for it. We do the same for our photo packages.

The common repy is that it is the industry standard to get 100% up front- but, where would we be if we focused on just providing the industry standard rather than enhancing it.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #14
Still Motion

My list:

1. Eat before shooting.
2. Always try something new.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
I think every videographer has their own set of golden rules for weddings. What may apply to you may not apply to everyone else. For example, I don't go to rehearsals, and I don't use unmanned cameras.

My golden rules are:
1. Always check and test your gear before every gig.
2. Have backup equipment loaded and ready to go when your primary equipment fails (it's not a matter of if, it's when)
3. Bring twice the amount of batteries and tapes you think you'll need.
I agree with you Warren especially No.2. Today for example I had a job of filming a seminar at the Hilton here in Nicosia. Before, my client told me to film the highlights only of the presentation (it was about 4 hours) but when I got there, on time as you said, his boss asked me to film the entire seminar! I had with me only 3 tapes (not enough) but luckily I had with me the standby camera in my car with 3 more tapes with it. Thank God, it saved my day. So as you said "Bring twice the amount of batteries and tapes that you need".

Stelios

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques