Samples of a DVD menu on your site... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 14th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Samples of a DVD menu on your site...

I noticed that a few of you had samples of the DVD menus you create for potential clients to watch on your websites. I am absolutely stumped as to how to go about doing this...can anyone tell me the proper technique in capturing the actuall DVD menu and create a video file of it?
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Depends on how you want to display it, but you could just do a print screen of the menu and upload the image.
If you need motion, you could use an animated gif, perhaps as just part of the image (divide it up on chunks and have some animated), or you could use flash if you want a lot of interaction.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

A real roundabout way would be to capture footage of the DVD menu from the DVD player itself, if you need the motion. Otherwise, just do a screenshot.
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #4
Major Player

If you're using a mac, you could use Snapz Pro X. It captures full motion to a file from any part of or your entire screen. They have a demo, so it's worth a try.
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #5
New Boot

Adobe Encore CS3 can export flash versions of your DVD which would display as a fully functional (motion) menu along with all of the content, or just the menu if you don't want the content. I'm working on this for my own website at present.

Dean.

Old October 15th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Dean: Wow! so you can basically have a fully working DVD example online?

What parts of the DVD is turned into vector and what parts are rasterized images?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Major Player

I would assume that all graphics are rasterized as it can't just magically make them vector. Perhaps text, etc., generated within encore would be vector.

It wouldn't be a full working version either, as that would require the video to be included. Or perhaps you could export that, but I'd think it a bad idea to have that included in flash (for space/bandwidth limits and downloading time).
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:13 AM   #8
New Boot

Here's a link to my first attempt - this was just to test the functionality so don't be too critical with the content! The .flv files are approx 16mb so I would suggest the duration would need to be kept to a reasonable length to keep file sizes down.

http://www.daytoremembervideos.com/d...hv2/index.html

Not sure whether to go down this route yet but thought I'd post a link so you can see what I'm taking about.
Dean Fairburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #9
Major Player

Hahaha. 16mb on a website? No....
MAAAYBE 1mb, and that's pushing it.
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:06 AM   #10
New Boot

Yep, agreed. 16mb is far too high. However I feel with the website correctly designed and different options for high/low bandwidth users, it is still something worth exploring. There are different export options for quality but the low quality just looks horrendous to me. I'd much rather send out a demonstration DVD than risk customers being put off by low quality footage.

Also resizing the menu causes problems with the rasterised graphics.

I still feel it is good for showing various menu options and how they can be personalised.

Slightly off topic, this is a good website for DVD menus:-

http://www.visions-uk.com
Dean Fairburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #11
Major Player

16MB, but it's active download so it's fine. I was able to take quick view thru all the options without any loading delays.

This is very slick, a wonderful way of showing off my completed DVD...
Yang Wen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques