NOLA Trash the Dress at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 15th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #1
Trustee

NOLA Trash the Dress

We tagged along while 4 photographers had a little fun with some brides in New Orleans a few weeks ago & had a lot of fun shooting. This is what came out of it:
www.silver-media.net/trashthedress

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Trustee

beautiful...what was it shot with, and what kind of post coloring did you do to the footage?
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Trustee

Shot with an FX7 on a Merlin, edited in FCP, graded in FCP with a variety of things (magic bullet, FCP's 3 way color corrector).
Song is Aqualung's "Strange & Beautiful"

-Ethan Cooper
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Seriously well done. That was just "eye candy" shot after shot. The locations were all stunning and the colour work was really good. It didn't really tell a story but.....I enjoyed every second of it except...for the smoking shot. Found myself sitting thinking about why it bothered me on loads of levels rather than watching the following shots.

Additonaly, you almost change up a gear after the motorbike shots, just shouts...I'm having so much fun doing this!

Genuinely REALLY loved it. Thanks for sharing!

Away to watch it again now.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for sharing - excellent job with good camera work and editing to the beat. Strange and Beautiful worked perfectly (just downloaded a copy myself, along with Brighter Than Sunshine). Oh yeah, including the wolf was awesome!

Way to go, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
The locations were all stunning and the colour work was really good.
If you've got a good location and a nice sunny day, it's pretty hard to screw things up. BTW, to illustrate this point further, we just shot a wedding at a plantation house in Mississippi on a prefect day last weekend. When I get the trailer done I'll post it. Location, location, location. Makes all the difference in the world.
Quote:
It didn't really tell a story but.....I enjoyed every second of it except...for the smoking shot. Found myself sitting thinking about why it bothered me on loads of levels rather than watching the following shots.
I agree about the story telling part. We were tagging along on the shoot and had very little input. There were 4 photographers and 4 brides, so things were a bit chaotic. If I do one of these again I'd love to have a little more control, and just one bride to work with. Also, this really wasn't very "trashy" for a trash the dress shoot. I'd like to work a bride over pretty good and really mess her up. This shoot actually turned into a semi-normal bridal portrait session.

My wife hated the smoking bride shot too, but I love that shot. It's actually one of my favorites. I've always been a big fan of contrast and contradiction, so a smoking bride is right down my alley.
Quote:
Additonaly, you almost change up a gear after the motorbike shots, just shouts...I'm having so much fun doing this!
If I'm understanding you correctly you're talking about pacing? Actually, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I very well could have picked up the pace although I'm not sure it was a conscious decision. I still do think that the beginning moves a little too slowly, but I've had to move on to paying projects. There are a lot of things I personally don't like about this video. To be honest, it never was what I was looking/hoping for. I think a Letus is in my future for some shallow DOF shots. I'd really love to have one on my Merlin, but controlling focus on a hand held stabilizer while using a Letus has to be pretty much next to impossible.
Quote:
Genuinely REALLY loved it. Thanks for sharing!
Away to watch it again now.
Glad you liked it. I appreciate all the input as well. I for one don't mind critiques of my work, cause I don't think anyone can be any more harsh of a critic than I am of my own stuff.

-Ethan Cooper
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nistler View Post
Hi Ethan,
Thanks for sharing - excellent job with good camera work and editing to the beat. Strange and Beautiful worked perfectly (just downloaded a copy myself, along with Brighter Than Sunshine). Oh yeah, including the wolf was awesome!
Way to go, Michael
Thanks Michael. I tend to edit to the beat, but this is beginning to bother me a little. Opinions? Anyone else having these thoughts or is it just me?

-Ethan Cooper
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Thanks Michael. I tend to edit to the beat, but this is beginning to bother me a little. Opinions? Anyone else having these thoughts or is it just me?
Rehi Ethan,

I've seen too many that really overdo editing to the beat. To me, it should create a positive emotional response (viewer emotional involvement) but not so noticeable to be distrating - we want the audience to be paying attention to our client and subjects, not showing that we are cool editors.

Your video was just right - perceptible to our critical eyes as editors, but not overdone or heavy handed. Of course, we all have our unique tastes... Some time ago, I was enjoying a demo video by one of the industry tops; everything was proceeding fine and then the music had four fast drum beats - the video tried to keep up, bang, Bang, BANG, BANG - ugg, what a distraction! The cadence was too fast for transition changes, distracting the mood of the video, music, lighting, composition, color, etc. In summary, just like everything else, the pacing of the beat edits gotta' match the overall theme.

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques