DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Video Hosting - who do you use (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/105848-video-hosting-who-do-you-use.html)

Darren Smith October 17th, 2007 04:38 AM

Video Hosting - who do you use

Firstly, can I just say what a wealth of information can be found on this forum, I take my hat off too all of you for your contributions. I have just started out in the wonderful world of event videography and have just finished my first wedding edit & I would dearly like some critique. The resulting DVD is almost entirely a result of watching, studying your works...heck who am I kidding, it IS entirely as a result of watching your works, so thank you.
Accordingly I raise the question, who, where can I get my work seen. I have a couple of sample vids on Youtube (non-wedding) but obviously quality is a bit to be desired. I'm not yet at the stage of having my own website, so any assistance here would be appreciated. I have no objection to paying for a video hosting service, however I'm no Donald Trump.

Cheers in advance for any suggestion you may offer.

DS

Vince Lucena October 17th, 2007 07:13 AM

One of the important factors to me,,, was server output speed.
I just went thru this research last month as my current provider Godaddy was not serving up my videos as fast as I would like them to. The max speed I could rcv from them was 250kbps so I switched to 1and1.com. Although I can only measure how fast I rcv'd the files on my connection it was the best indicator I had. I rcv'd my streams any where from 1 to 1.5mbps thru 1and1. There were other host that served at 2mbps but the monthly price started to climb.

Art Varga October 17th, 2007 07:48 AM

Darren - I use a service called Phanfare (phanfare.com). I started using it as a personal site for sharing photos and videos with family but discovered an additional use for my business. One of my deliverables to the B&G is a web viewable wedding highlight clip that I post for 30 days. The site allows you to set up multiple albums each with their own password. I simply upload, set the password and then direct my client to the site. I think I'm paying about $7US/month but the rate is discounted if you sign a longer contract

Art

Tim Polster October 17th, 2007 08:16 AM

I use www.ipowerweb.com

They give you tons of storage space and the servers are very fast.

$7.95 a month

Mike Oveson October 17th, 2007 08:50 AM

I'm using Lunarpages.com right now and I can pull video from my site at the full bandwidth of my connection, which is 7Mbps. So it serves me well. Cheap too. Only $6.95 a month for the hosting.

Richard Wakefield October 17th, 2007 08:50 AM

i'm more than happy playing flash files with 1and1 (streaming on non-video-streaming UK servers!) but you might want to read this interesting comparison if you want an easier route:

http://www.dvguru.com/2006/04/07/ten...ices-compared/

Travis Johnson October 17th, 2007 12:55 PM

Compared to the popular 1and1.com, Lunarpages has great deals! I'm going to be getting a site with them as soon as I can think of a domain name.

Yang Wen October 17th, 2007 03:06 PM

I want to design my new flash-based wedding site making extensive use of large flash videos..

Are there any services out there that's dedicated to only store large media files for the purpose of being streamed on an external site?

Mark Sudfeldt October 17th, 2007 03:11 PM

I 3rd Lunarpages as a host. Good pricing with excellent support and the price includes a free domain name.

Mark

Darren Smith October 17th, 2007 04:12 PM

Wow!! Thanks guys for your quick response, I will look into the suggestions put forward and keep you posted when I get the highlights clip up and running.

Cheers
DS