DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   More Italians getting hitched! Old Montreal. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/106069-more-italians-getting-hitched-old-montreal.html)

Vito DeFilippo October 20th, 2007 07:35 AM

More Italians getting hitched! Old Montreal.

Lots of double kissing and Old Montreal goodness.

I may end up posting most of this video, if this keeps up. Hope you guys aren't tired of me yet.

Anyway, here's the photo shoot. Michael Nistler should be able to beat the crap out of me for this one! Michael, I already know you don't like the sandwiches...

http://www.nosmallroles.com/josie3.wmv

Any feedback always appreciated!

Cheers,
Vito

Michael Nistler October 20th, 2007 09:57 PM

Howdy Vitto,

Thanks for sharing - I really enjoyed your show and it flowed very well. You did an excellent job on many of the camera shots and the music really went well with the story. Your editing was much stronger on this cut than your first - the only camera/editing "maneuver" that was odd was where you are panning the camera and abruptly do a cut in the middle of the pan. I've noticed you do this shot from time to time - a more seamless transition would be to use one of the following:

1. Stop the camera pan for 1-2 seconds before doing the cut
2. Use a cross-dissolve during the pan, optimally picking up on the prior pan movement (but not practical if joining the chosen shots isn't decided until editing)

On this note, you may want to learn the swoosh-cut if you like to cut while panning the camera.

BTW, do you know practically all your shots are taken from shoulder height? John Cooksey coins this "position 4". Near the end of the video (04:30), I enjoyed the overhead shot of the B&G party, thinking "alright - Vitto takes some hi/low camera angle shots after all." Having another look, I see that actually it was a shoulder shot after all and the subjects were seated on the park bench! Still, I give you thumbs up for using a different angle even if the B&G party were seated. I realize with your glidecam it's not practical to use low shots (position 1) or overhead shots (position 5) but if you get a quick release mount, it's easy enough to get some interesting stationary shots from different angles. Regarding camera work, I certainly recommend purchasing John's excellent training DVDs "Advanced Broadcast Camera Techniques":

http://www.elitevideo.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=26

Many of us have made dramatic improvements in our camera/editing techniques and always think "WALLDO" when shooting (Wide, Angled, Low, Linking, Opposites). See this DVD and I promise you'll never view a movie or someone's video the same way (and that's quite a claim!)

Warm Regards, Michael

Vito DeFilippo October 20th, 2007 10:18 PM

Hey Michael,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Nistler (Post 762071)
the only camera/editing "maneuver" that was odd was where you are panning the camera and abruptly do a cut in the middle of the pan.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I should be less lazy and use a smoother transition for those.

Quote:

BTW, do you know practically all your shots are taken from shoulder height?
You know, when I saw the low angle shot of the bride's feet from behind (near the end), it reminded me that I should do more of that. Funny you should pick that up.

Quote:

I realize with your glidecam it's not practical to use low shots.
What glidecam? That might be my next purchase, some kind of stabilizer. Watching Patrick Moreau's steadicam stuff has got me all fired up!

Thanks for the feedback again, and for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

All the best,
Vito

Mary Angelini March 14th, 2008 10:47 AM

You suggest to purchase "Advanced Broadcast Camera Techniques Videos DVDs" have you see the Wedding tutorial they put out too?
I was wondering which would be better.

any suggestions?

Vito DeFilippo March 14th, 2008 10:55 AM

Hi Mary,

I'm not sure if you are asking me or Michael, but I bought the "Broadcast Camera" discs on ebay. They are a bit dated and contain quite a bit of bad camera work, surprisingly, but I found them useful none the less. Some good tips that I will remember and use.

I haven't seen the wedding demo tapes.

Mary Angelini March 14th, 2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 842480)
Hi Mary,

They are a bit dated and contain quite a bit of bad camera work, surprisingly, but I found them useful none the less.

I haven't seen the wedding demo tapes.

How Ironic.
I am curious to know if the wedding companion is worth the money. I have been bidding on ebay and seam to get out bided at the very last minute. It is way cheaper on ebay than the web site.

Vito DeFilippo March 14th, 2008 11:15 AM

Yeah, they are way cheaper on ebay. You might want to start a new thread asking for opinions on the wedding demo disc. Styles and techniques change so quickly that if they are outdated, they could be useless. I don't have any idea when they were produced.