DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Cool wedding editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/106186-cool-wedding-editing.html)

Warren Kawamoto October 22nd, 2007 04:49 AM

Cool wedding editing

I've been watching this guy's wedding videos 2 years ago and even today, I think they're really really cool! He's in Israel and edits with Edius and AE.
This video was done in 2005 and it always make me shake my head in awe.
http://www.cube-edit.co.il/cube.htm

Warren Kawamoto October 22nd, 2007 04:57 AM

I forgot to tell you that when the first cube edit screen comes up, click on the upper right box and it will lead you to the wedding video clips.

Kenny Shem October 22nd, 2007 08:54 AM

i personally don't fancy any special effects or editing. I like it plain, simple and neat. I like the focus to be on the shooting technique and the video subjects. Something like what Patrick had done. The special effects had taken more than 80% of my attention away from the couples. :)

Kenny

Richard Wakefield October 22nd, 2007 09:43 AM

Completely agree with Kenny.

And from someone who has FX in their company name, even i've never liked cheesy or template-looking effects. it HAS to be tasteful and minimal to be effective. (i.e. that triple shape mask thing in the first clip seems to go on forever!).

Watching his reels just completely distracts from the content coz u are forever looking at the next effect.

don't get me wrong though coz the actual footage content (from what u can see) has potential to be pretty good, and i love his actual website beginning, it's amazing infact!

Warren Kawamoto October 22nd, 2007 12:04 PM

I agree that his visuals are VERY distracting because of the volume of special effects he uses. Way too much for my taste. However, I was looking at his editing... how he took the time to create his effects and put everything together. I personally would never do his style in my videos, but I think his EDITING is truly amazing.

This guy comes from a DJ background hence his heavy "MTV" style which I've not seen elsewhere.

I just wanted to post his site because I thought everyone could learn something by watching his editing style:)

Kenny Shem October 22nd, 2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 762784)
I agree that his visuals are VERY distracting because of the volume of special effects he uses. Way too much for my taste. However, I was looking at his editing... how he took the time to create his effects and put everything together. I personally would never do his style in my videos, but I think his EDITING is truly amazing.

This guy comes from a DJ background hence his heavy "MTV" style which I've not seen elsewhere.

I just wanted to post his site because I thought everyone could learn something by watching his editing style:)

Yup. It's still very cool, although they are more suited to MTV or Corporate Video. :)

Wayne Greensill October 22nd, 2007 03:08 PM

I just wish I could read in Israelie.

Lol

Simon Denny October 23rd, 2007 01:55 AM

Man i love it,
Very modern, funky & slick, a complete turn around from the norm.
Great ideas for anything really.

Cheers
Simon

John Moon October 23rd, 2007 01:10 PM

There are some good ideas to make parts of a video more contemporary. I liked some of the creative things he is doing but I would not use them throughout the video but....maybe thats the style in Israel.

John

Victor Kellar October 23rd, 2007 02:51 PM

Yup, some of that was over the top. Or over used, at any rate

But there were some nice ideas and there and some very nice editing to the music which seems to be a dying art

A lot of it would suit a trailer of wedding show demo; I don't know if I'd use "so much" in the video itself

Still, its all what the market would bear. I edit for other studios, that's all I do now. In this market I get requests for that kind of highly stylized work where my out of town markets tend more towards candid, "out of the box" look

Hey, I encourage all my studios to go candid .... I love knocking off a whole wedding in 6 hours or so.

Seriously, I saw what looked like a lot of "canned" effects which I have always hated but, as I said, don't dimiss it outright .. I could also see some real work in there. And geez, building some excitement in a wedding .. is that so wrong?

David Mathew Bonner October 23rd, 2007 10:49 PM

Sell what you want to sell not what you think they want to buy.

man o man - That listen to your heart video was amazing -
Very creative and well done. Thanks for sharing.

Being a person who has been known to go a little crazy with some edits - this made my stuff look tame. I know the work that goes into something like that. It's so much easier to find a slow song and edit it - storybook fashion.
but what he has done isn't over the top, it's out of the park. I hope he is making good money for it.

The objections on here are funny. Some people get so defensive when they see something out of the ordinary. It is always that same response, hmm - must be his market, nothing like that would ever sell here. I've heard those comments for a decade and I just shake my head. You can make any product you see fit and sell it. Either you will make a living or you won't. It's your product, you can choose what you sell and who you sell it to. You don't have to follow some imaginary guideline to wedding video's 101. Plain and simple or pure funk and fx's, it's your business and no one else's.

Chris M. Watson October 24th, 2007 03:26 PM

This is in no way "good" but it is entertaining!

Chris W

Steve Yager October 26th, 2007 04:12 PM

I think this is "good". Because "good" is subjective, and if those people love their video, then that's all that matters. I'm glad someone has the guts to try something new. Tastes change, and I think there will always be a place for the "classic" video, but younger weddings will want something like this too. Maybe not exactly this but something flashier than what is the norm right now.

Chris M. Watson October 26th, 2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Yager (Post 765473)
I think this is "good". Because "good" is subjective, and if those people love their video, then that's all that matters. I'm glad someone has the guts to try something new. Tastes change, and I think there will always be a place for the "classic" video, but younger weddings will want something like this too. Maybe not exactly this but something flashier than what is the norm right now.

Well this is "Flash Gordon" or "Transformers: The Movie (1986)" good. It's so cheesy but it kinda works because of the 110% conviction of its creator. Wedding video styles change but good storytelling will always be good storytelling. Don't see much of a shelf life for this kind of thing.

Chris W

Scott Shama October 27th, 2007 02:50 AM

I think it's great. Much more interesting than the same ol slo mo that seems to permeate the industry in the US. that being said, I don't think the whole wedding video could be like these but a couple parts done like this set this person apart from everyone else in the industry...