DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Hey Patrick M. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/106189-hey-patrick-m.html)

Steven Davis October 22nd, 2007 07:34 AM

Hey Patrick M.

Hey Patrick, forgive the email if it has interupted your day, and like myself, you probably get 100 emails aday. But my question is directed at you, so I can post on the board if you want.

I was wondering what stablizer you use for your weddings? Does it include a vest?

I think we are ready to take our stuff to another level, we upgraded our cams this year, and I toying with a vest and arm as the next logical step. At this point I'm thinking outloud, but wanted to ask.

Richard Wakefield October 22nd, 2007 08:00 AM

Steven,

I'm pretty sure Patrick has answered this umpteen times on this forum. just search through his posts maybe?

brace yourself (no pun intended) for how much you might have to fork out to get PM-type shots :)

Steven Davis October 22nd, 2007 08:06 AM

Thanks Richard, I'll look again. I know, the money is going to be high.

Kenny Shem October 22nd, 2007 08:46 AM

From what we all know, he is using Steadicam Flyer with Canon XL-H1, couples of merlins with XH-A1 and tripod of course. Can check out his blog site, I think he did mentioned briefly the equipments he use. Its no secret of course.

Steven Davis October 22nd, 2007 08:56 AM

Thanks, I found the link where he mentioned it.

Patrick Moreau October 22nd, 2007 09:00 AM

Looks like I don't even need to reply anymore.

We do have a FAQ for pros on our blog that goes over our equipment. The section should be updated quite extensively in the next 3 months though.

The Steadicam Flyer is an amazing investment if your feelin' the style it can provide. Your looking at roughly $10k for the unit and batteries, and about a year to get good at using it. Now that we are using the 35 adapters on our other cams, I have on occasion left the steadicam at home in favor of a glidecam- which then allows me to shoot with the 35 adapter more. That only works for certain couples and weddings though.

I was just speaking the other day with a couple guys here about my shooting with the glidecam vs Flyer. Last weeks SDE was all glidecam on my part and merlin by Michael. While it is very good in my opinion, you can definitely notice that it does not have long tracking shots, and no tight shots with movement. Looking at my footage from the glidecam, which I think I am petty good at using, it is annoying shaky in comparison to the steadicam. I think I may be a little picky int hat regard though.

The new Steadicam pilot is probably the perfect way to go at nearly half the investment with the same performance, if not better, out of smaller 5-7 lbs cameras.

Your going to want a heavier camera to get the most of it as well. An HVX, beefed up A1 or FX1, or an Xl-H1 is perfect.

Patrick

Kenny Shem October 22nd, 2007 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 762669)
Looks like I don't even need to reply anymore.

We do have a FAQ for pros on our blog that goes over our equipment. The section should be updated quite extensively in the next 3 months though.

The Steadicam Flyer is an amazing investment if your feelin' the style it can provide. Your looking at roughly $10k for the unit and batteries, and about a year to get good at using it. Now that we are using the 35 adapters on our other cams, I have on occasion left the steadicam at home in favor of a glidecam- which then allows me to shoot with the 35 adapter more. That only works for certain couples and weddings though.

I was just speaking the other day with a couple guys here about my shooting with the glidecam vs Flyer. Last weeks SDE was all glidecam on my part and merlin by Michael. While it is very good in my opinion, you can definitely notice that it does not have long tracking shots, and no tight shots with movement. Looking at my footage from the glidecam, which I think I am petty good at using, it is annoying shaky in comparison to the steadicam. I think I may be a little picky int hat regard though.

The new Steadicam pilot is probably the perfect way to go at nearly half the investment with the same performance, if not better, out of smaller 5-7 lbs cameras.

Your going to want a heavier camera to get the most of it as well. An HVX, beefed up A1 or FX1, or an Xl-H1 is perfect.

Patrick

Patrick, when you mention using Glidecam, are you using any arm and vest such as smooth shooter or X-10 or purely handheld?

Patrick Moreau October 22nd, 2007 09:12 AM

These days I am either full vest, arm, steadicam or handheld merlin or glidecam. While I like the merlin more than the glidecam, I often choose the glidecam as it is easier to keep balanced so you can pick up and shoot right away and it stands on its feet.

Steven Davis October 22nd, 2007 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 762674)
These days I am either full vest, arm, steadicam or handheld merlin or glidecam. While I like the merlin more than the glidecam, I often choose the glidecam as it is easier to keep balanced so you can pick up and shoot right away and it stands on its feet.

Thanks Patrick, I'm just brainstorming on which way to go.

Kenny Shem October 22nd, 2007 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 762674)

With the merlin, i guess you still could do long tracking shot since it is much lighter than using the Glidecam handheld.

Walter van Dusen October 22nd, 2007 09:42 AM

Hello Patrick,

Could you please do a "how to video" on wedding videography? I would love to see behind the scenes and your thoughts in regard to how you approach weddings. I'm assuming there are more people like me that would love to buy your how to video.

Pretty please,
Walter

PS We ordered the Steadicam Pilot

Steven Davis October 22nd, 2007 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 762669)

Patrick

The heaviest cam I have is my Z1u, add batteries, a light kit and lcd I think I could work with a kit that is rated for 10lbs min.

I really like the idea of having the lcd to view. Thanks again Patrick.

Kenny Shem October 22nd, 2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter van Dusen (Post 762693)
Hello Patrick,

Could you please do a "how to video" on wedding videography? I would love to see behind the scenes and your thoughts in regard to how you approach weddings. I'm assuming there are more people like me that would love to buy your how to video.

Pretty please,
Walter

PS We ordered the Steadicam Pilot

There was a discussion in this forum by Patrick some time back. He proposed doing a wedding video tips and technique DVD and was asking for feedback and opinion. Can search for the thread. Don't know what's the update so far though.

Patrick Moreau October 22nd, 2007 10:56 AM

We are currently looking to move into a much larger studio. It would give us the space to do training DVDs, the potential for workshops, as well as some other things we have cooking. Not sure if workshops would work considering our location though.

We are hoping to move on that soon- we have a meeting with a real estate agent later this week.

Michael Y Wong October 25th, 2007 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Shem (Post 762679)
With the merlin, i guess you still could do long tracking shot since it is much lighter than using the Glidecam handheld.

Unfortunately that is not the case. The merlin is a fantastic tool but for the most part it is extremely easy to transfer the footsteps bounce into the footage.

On any given day I would much rather perform the long tracking shots on the Glidecam vs the Merlin; for this reason alone.

Hopefully the merlin vest/arm & pilot sled later on will help rectify this issue!