Tilt-Shifting Same-Day Edit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM   #1
Still Motion

Tilt-Shifting Same-Day Edit

I've been working the Brevis (35mm adapter) into all of our productions lately I am crazy about the look of the footage. Over the past while I have started using tilt-shift lenses on the brevis to get a really different look. For those not as familiar with the photo side of things, which is where they are more common, a tilt-shift lens allows you to change your plane of focus.

As an example, you could line the rings of in a row and set the tilt-shift up so that on the center ring is in focus. It is a unique look for use, and a ton of fun to use.

Here is a SDE where most of my prep shots were tilt-shifted quite a bit. It is tougher to see the effect in the we version but I certainly can see it. We also got the bride in a shipping cart, which was great to shoot.

I am particulary not impressed with the color work I did on this one, partly due to time, but I am curious as to what people think of the repetitive linear storytelling.

http://stillmotionblog.com/?p=236

Patrick
www.still-motion.ca
Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Trustee

Awesome! Love your multitude choices of angles! The tilt-shift also works favorably with the compositions. It's great to see you trying all kinds of new ideas!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Still Motion

Thanks Warren. Trying new things for these Same-Day Edits is what really makes every week quite the chalenge. I'll be getting Michael shooting with aa 35mm adapter very soon, and thats going to really step it up a notch with two adapters and a steadicam all in a same-day edit.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Patrick:
I really liked the pace and thought the colors to be very excellent. We booked our first SDE for next October. Will be doing some test runs before then. Already have butterflies thinking about it but I want to push myself. Always enjoy your work.

John
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The 24TSE is great on the Brevis, if your tilt axis is vertical and and you tilt all the way, you don't even have to focus, just line up the subject with the tilt plane.
E.J. Sadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:25 AM   #6
Major Player

mind-blowing stuff, in all aspects

but at long last, i've found something i'm not too keen on - the font for your title at 00:19...how minor is that! :)

love the shopping trolley shot, and the brevis work

well done AGAIN on some truly inspirational work
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:18 AM   #7
Inner Circle

As an old (in all senses of the word) large format photographer I've been using tilt and shift for almost 40 years.

It can give you some intereting options in producing a very extended region of sharp focus all the way from the camera to infinity.

But there are few "gotchas" along the way. If for example you want a photo of a dining table all set for dinner, you can tilt the lens (or the camera back in the case of a large camera) such that the plane of sharp focus matches the table top, and magically everything on the table is crisp and sharp.

At least crisp and sharp close to the table. The gotcha is that anything tall will be in focus at the bottom and out of focus at the top. And the closer to the camera, the worse the problem. If you look at advertising photos like this you'll notice that tall items are usually at the greatest distance from the camera to minimize this effect.

If the lens is tilted around the vertical axis, things further to the right or left of the plane of sharp focus will be out of focus. Think of it this way - if you were taking a picture of a bunch of Santa Clauses (with protruding tummies) all in a line from near the camera to the far wall, their faces would all be in focus, but their protruding tummies would be out of focus, most noticeably those closest to the camera. And the more protruding the tummy, the worse the problem.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:11 AM   #8
Major Player

Good Grief....thats another thing I have to add to my, as yet, un-fulfilled wish list of shiny things to have. No Fair! Always a source of inspiration.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:04 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Superb work again Patrick! I've actually been looking for a Tilt/shift lens myself, but can't decide over the 3 that canon has.

Did the 'coffee' scene not scare you at all? I thought for a second one of the rings were going to fall ;)
Amish Solanki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Still Motion

Amish,

Our clients are very trusting with us, which really helps a lot. I wasn't worried with that shot as the handles really held the rings in well. We actually did quite a few takes of that to get the rack focus timed with the overflowing- or at least as close as possible.

As for a tilt/hshift, the 90 is really great for both photo and video but I think the 45 may have more applications. I will be getting that one from Canon within a week so I can let you know how they compare. I still owe you an email too.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 05:12 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Continual inspiration from Patrick, I love it . . .
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:14 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Amish,

Our clients are very trusting with us, which really helps a lot. I wasn't worried with that shot as the handles really held the rings in well. We actually did quite a few takes of that to get the rack focus timed with the overflowing- or at least as close as possible.

As for a tilt/hshift, the 90 is really great for both photo and video but I think the 45 may have more applications. I will be getting that one from Canon within a week so I can let you know how they compare. I still owe you an email too.

Patrick
Awesome, its a great shot. I wouldn't of thought of something like that.

Yes, as nice as the 90 is, I too think the 45 will probably be the way to go. I shoot with a 1D mk2/20d combo so with the crop of both cameras (even the 1.3) 90 might be a little tight for some shots, 24 a little wide, 45 right on. Thankfully Canon makes so many different ones. No worries on the email, its a busy time now, and figured you're busy.
Amish Solanki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques