Do you film family/bridal party posed shoots? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 6th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
David,

You Canadians, I tell you what... You have some ingenious ideas. Thank you for sharing. I bet that client was happy.

BTW, what do you mean by past tense?
Thanks.

Over the last couple of years I have tried to do less and less weddings. I thought I could handle making it about 25% of my business. The plate seems to fill up just the same with other jobs and I have found the other jobs easier to do with less stress. As a result, I pulled the plug fully on weddings and have forwarded any inquiries to some local peers.
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #17
Major Player

Do you mean corporate work? I can see the stress part; I just really enjoy doing weddings.
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
Do you mean corporate work? I can see the stress part; I just really enjoy doing weddings.
Sorry for getting this thread off track.

I have been cleaning house for the last couple of weeks and getting rid of clients and tasks that I didn't have the energy for. I have been trying to reduce my work load and the amount of work coming in ( kinda backwards isn't it) and then last week I shot Anthony Robbins and Bob Proctor http://www.bobproctor.com/default.htm
and I really got honest with myself and I see that I have lost site of my goals and this isn't where I want to be. Somewhere along the line, video became work. It's like waking up one day and not being in love with your wife. In order to get my love for video back, I am getting rid of all the things I hate about it. I don't care if I make a living anymore with video or not, I just want to enjoy life first and foremost.

Once again, sorry for getting this thread off track. You can PM me if you like.
dMb
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #19
Still Motion

Not to sidetrack this thread anymore but I must say, it's sad to see you leaving dMb. Your work has always been innovative as long as I have known of it. I can remember viewing your work in awe several years back when I had just started in the industry. Best of luck with your new path.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathew Bonner View Post
Sorry for getting this thread off track.

I have been cleaning house for the last couple of weeks and getting rid of clients and tasks that I didn't have the energy for. I have been trying to reduce my work load and the amount of work coming in ( kinda backwards isn't it) and then last week I shot Anthony Robbins and Bob Proctor http://www.bobproctor.com/default.htm
and I really got honest with myself and I see that I have lost site of my goals and this isn't where I want to be. Somewhere along the line, video became work. It's like waking up one day and not being in love with your wife. In order to get my love for video back, I am getting rid of all the things I hate about it. I don't care if I make a living anymore with video or not, I just want to enjoy life first and foremost.

Once again, sorry for getting this thread off track. You can PM me if you like.
dMb
Dave, believe me when I say I hear you.

Theres comes a point in ones life where one must decide on where they're going and for me, it was to knuckle down get the work out and get back to teaching video fundamentals.

I can safely say that over 90% of production companies here in Australia are either untrained or unskilled for this line of work.

Hopefully with that I can fall in love again with what I do but as it stands, my work is just that, work, and the art of what I do is somewhere in there amongst the bread and butter.

Sadly here in Aus, the art is NOT what people want and this is due to the fact that the industry itself is falling over itself trying to compete.
In turn, value of the product has decreased as have peoples expectations of the art within the work itself.

With this degradation of value, the value people put on service providers is nonexistent, and respect is thrown out the window.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours mate.
If you feel like a chat, drop me a line to djpadre@hotmail.com

cheers
P

As for the photoshoot stuff, I shoot it in HD then offer stills of those images to the client at a cost. I sometimes use the candids as transitional pieces to the photoshoot.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Your work has always been innovative as long as I have known of it. I can remember viewing your work in awe several years back when I had just started in the industry. Best of luck with your new path.

Patrick
Thanks Patrick,

I have been very impressed with your workmanship and marketing over the last year or so. Whatever I may of done for this market years ago, people like you have long surpassed.
If we move to St.Catherines (it's on our list of possibilities) I may hit you up for a job ;)

David
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post

Hopefully with that I can fall in love again with what I do but as it stands, my work is just that, work, and the art of what I do is somewhere in there amongst the bread and butter.

Thanks Peter,
It's good to be understood.
Is that hotmail your msn?

If so, I will add you to my contacts.
David
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #23
Still Motion

Thanks David,

That is a great compliment to hear from somebody like you. Housing in Niagara Falls right now is pretty amazing. We just did a wedding for the owner of a building company and through that relationship we have seen a ton of their work- it is amazing what you can get down here compared to how little you can get just a little closer to the GTA.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Thanks David,

That is a great compliment to hear from somebody like you. Housing in Niagara Falls right now is pretty amazing. We just did a wedding for the owner of a building company and through that relationship we have seen a ton of their work- it is amazing what you can get down here compared to how little you can get just a little closer to the GTA.

Patrick
I know, we have been looking around Canada and are considering selling here.
The "Alberta Advantage" has been good and the value of our home has more than doubled in the last couple of years. It is hard to find anything under 400k here and most nice homes are 500 and up.

We have been looking at Southern Ontario and Nova Scotia as nice places to relocate. If we decide to go that route, this is home and it's not easy to leave.

Can this thread get any more side tracked?? :)
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Dave, yup, thats my MSN mate.

In regard to property prices, the OS market is amazing compared to Sydney, To find a decent place here, you have to move at least 1 hour from the central CBD and property worth considering (i.e. big enough for a family and home based studio + theatre) are no less than $600k.

Average about $750 for a 4 bedder and large enough living areas which can be converted for business.

I have a US client who actually sold one property here for $450k and bought three homes (of the same size as the original in Aus) in Pittsburgh, sold those for $210k each, made a cool $130k and is now having that "dream wedding"

Maybe we should start looking at getting out of Aus.. lol

Sorry moving off topic.

Back to it...

Going back to the family portrait sessions you will come across some photographers who loath the idea of you filming "their' compositions.
I had one photographer tell me that video was going to make Photography redundant. With that, throughout the day he deliberately tried to ruin my shots among other things. I just took it as inexperience and total fear of video technology.

He was an arrogant newbie with next to no idea about weddings but to rub in his fear of the video guy taking his job, I mounted my 580EX onto my A1 and started taking shots.
I love subtlety...

In any case, we are there to do a job, and if photo sessions are a concern for you as a service provider, its always wise to discuss this with the client beforehand.

In my case, as I'm a solo shooter with multiple cameras, I tell them that once the photographer begins doing the non-family formals, THAT is when I break down my other cameras and prepare for the photo location session.

Clients are ok with this, as are photographers.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #26
Major Player

I generally film the formal family photos. My main aim is to catch the candid moments that happen in between the posed shots.

From that footage, I edit together a fake '8mm film' section using some up-tempo jazz music.

It works well as a fun transition from the slower, romantic ceremony section into the bridal party photo session.

Peter - Don't get me started on housing affordability in Australia - even up here in little old Toowoomba, QLD the prices are crazy. Also try getting a home loan as a small business owner :( It's not easy.
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques