DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Lighting small rooms? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/108032-lighting-small-rooms.html)

Sean Seah November 15th, 2007 10:23 AM

Lighting small rooms?

We have really small rooms here where the ladies do their make up and usually, its done at 6am where its really dark n the only light in there is a florescent light. Do u guys in the states usually set up some lighting in such rooms? I noticed the make up seems to be done in reasonable day light at least.

I had an experience recently to set up a single Arri lamp but it was too bright for a direct shot so I bounced the light off the ceiling. It didnt turn out well. Worst of all I had to move out of the room when the groom came and the white balance went hay wire as I was on manual WB. Argh....my poor partner had lotsa post CC to do..

Any suggestions on how to handle this? I need some good advise on how to light.. should I go on auto WB in this case?

Peter Jefferson November 15th, 2007 10:31 AM

Go grab a few halogen desk lamps with double or triple heads and fit them with 3200k bulbs to offset the darker tones in the rooms. Then place these in strategic spots before the Brides even get there. They will think they're makeup lights (more than likely if the mirrors are lit, they're running tungsten or warmer temp globes).

Place a desk lamp on the bench. If you find floor standing lamps, place them near full length mirrors or near doorways where you can use the light to create flares and silhouettes. Don't forget the dress either.. you can use the lights to highlight detail and get a few Macros shots in while you're at it.

Noa Put November 16th, 2007 03:17 AM

I always use the light which is attached to my camera, in dark area's were there is only inside light I always have the wb on automatic, never had to correct colors under these circumstances

Rick Steele November 16th, 2007 07:54 AM

Just set up a common, no-frills 75 watt lamp in one corner. It won't bother anybody and you just plug it in and forget about it.

Bill Mecca November 16th, 2007 01:08 PM

if the ceiling is white, bounce that 75 watter off the ceiling to soften the light.

Don Bloom November 16th, 2007 01:10 PM

I agree. By placing big lights in the small room things get out of hand quickly, not to mention set up and strike time AND the change in the ambience of the room. 75 to 2100W light, in the corner, bounce off the ceiling, set the iris wide open maybe slow the shutter and go for it.

Don

Sean Seah November 16th, 2007 08:14 PM

Yeah the setup was a killer.. Perhaps an on cam light would be better. I was considering the Sony LED light since that can be dimmed with a difusser as well but thaz quite a monster to mount on my cam which will be on a stabiliser at times. Prob worth a consideration still. Anything is better than seting up a real light!