My first HDV wedding (clip) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 15th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #1
Wrangler

My first HDV wedding (clip)

Hello everyone- I know I haven't shared any work for a while- I just made the transition into shooting HDV. Here is a trailer from the first wedding shot with XH-A1s.

http://www.gmelliottvideo.com/weddingtrailer.mov
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #2
New Boot

I liked it...

Walter
Walter van Dusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Hello everyone- I know I haven't shared any work for a while- I just made the transition into shooting HDV. Here is a trailer from the first wedding shot with XH-A1s.

http://www.gmelliottvideo.com/weddingtrailer.mov
Looks great! One thing that helps you out, and no one talks much about it here, is that you have a great looking venue and attractive bride and groom. It's not always easy making a nice trailer with ugly people.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #4
Major Player

incredible!

awesome venue, great looking people. awesome cinematography and editing, and very importantly, great selection of music. I really like the shots from the free dance. Did you have to setup extra lighting or was it all ambient? Also how big was your crew for this wedding?

I think your example is gonna the one that finally convince me to upgrade to HD...

Last edited by Yang Wen; November 16th, 2007 at 11:06 AM.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I liked the trailer also, the clip looked very sharp, almost like looking through a window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
It's not always easy making a nice trailer with ugly people.
I agree on the venue part but not necessarily on the ugly people, think most important part is that they are spontaneous and smile a lot.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Trustee

Great piece, really nice colouring and staging. Strong audio and good music!

Cool beans:)
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Major Player

Glen - fantastic piece! Did you shoot that in 24P or 60i?
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Trustee

It's a Glen Elliott sighting!!!

I was seriously about to start a "where is Glen Elliott" thread.

You don't have a clue who I am, but I've admired your work for a few years. You were one of the reasons I decided to stick with doing weddings, and saw the potential that the market could have. At the time I was working at a production company making commercials, and doing high end corporate videos but after seeing the work you were doing and in the last couple years or so, the work I've seen out of a growing number of other wedding videographers, I decided to give up my decent production job and dive full time into the world of weddings. I guess you could say that you were one of my wedding videography heroes.

Anyway, after that little aside, let's get back on topic here.
I liked the piece but one thing kept bothering me. You slowed down (and pitch shifted?) the song. (unless there's a different version out there I don't know about) I've used that same song in one of my videos and the tempo kept throwing me off. Anyone not familiar with the song wouldn't care, and most likely anyone who didn't sit with it for hours on end wouldn't notice, but it was killing me. Don't get me wrong, it fit the mood of the piece, and the edit was good. Maybe I'm just a little too emotionally attached to the original.

How did your XHA1's handle in low light? That's been my biggest complaint of going HD thus far. With decent light, my little FX7 blows my previous cameras out of the water, but in a dim ceremony it's a different story. I just wrote a little rant about HD and low light if anyone cares to chime in, slap me around, or agree.

It's nice to see a Glen Elliott video out there again. In my mind you are like the godfather of high quality wedding videography.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #9
Major Player

Incredible cinematography Glenn. This is the best example of something shot in HDV that I have seen to date. I wouldn't have expected less, but wow.
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #10
Trustee

Glen, as usual fantastic edit.
The A1 really seems to produce some great low light images as well. I wish that I would be able to work weddings where couples actually hired a lighting designer. It really gives a great sense of depth to the image.

I only have 2 questions:
Did you do much color correcting (grading) to this, or was it purely the actual video itself?

Was this shot or changed over to 24P or straight 1080i?
I only ask, because the slomo on the last clip seems stuttery. Although that could strictly be the QT compression.
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #11
Major Player

With all the talk of having an advantage of the being able to film such a high end wedding to help contribute to the final quality of the video. I think it's worth saying some of the best shots IMO were of the bride opening the door to receive the groom, which was in normal outdoor day light. Captured perfectly.. that scene actually reminded me a lot of the movie Love Actually.

The clips looks like it was shot at 24P and I actually dig the stuttery slow-mo of 24P. It's much more visceral than a smooth-as-silk 60i slow-mo footage.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I liked it, but felt like the colors were weak. Needs some adjustment to make it "pop" and add to the flow/tempo of the video.
Zach Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Looks great! One thing that helps you out, and no one talks much about it here, is that you have a great looking venue and attractive bride and groom. It's not always easy making a nice trailer with ugly people.
I agree that a nice venue and attractive people can add to a pieces overall appeal. However I don't think the attractiveness of the couple is as much of a factor so much as the venue and the kind of visuals it can yeild.
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
incredible!

awesome venue, great looking people. awesome cinematography and editing, and very importantly, great selection of music. I really like the shots from the free dance. Did you have to setup extra lighting or was it all ambient? Also how big was your crew for this wedding?

I think your example is gonna the one that finally convince me to upgrade to HD...
Thank you for the kind words. Regarding lighting I used a single light for all the cams, off camera. I had a crew of 2. We shot 3 cams on the Ceremony, and mostly 2 cams during the reception. Ocassionally I'd utilize the 3rd shooter to cover cut-aways during toasts, etc.

Regarding the switch to HD, I actually purchased an A1 to do corporate work with. I was so happy with the results I bought a second A1, and HV20 as a deck/capture and backup cam. So far I'm very happy with my experience using A1s for wedding work.
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I liked the trailer also, the clip looked very sharp, almost like looking through a window.

I agree on the venue part but not necessarily on the ugly people, think most important part is that they are spontaneous and smile a lot.
I couldn't agree more. The overall attitude of the couple is way more important to how attractive they are physically.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques