DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What camera would you guys recommend (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/109027-what-camera-would-you-guys-recommend.html)

Wayne Greensill November 28th, 2007 12:49 PM

What camera would you guys recommend

Hi there,

I mainly concentrate on fiming wedding videos using the Sony Dcr VX2100.

My last wedding turned into a bit of a mare where the camera decided to go down on me, you know what I mean, packed up.

Everything outdoors looked yellow but indoors looked great?

Luckily i had another guy fiming with me so i used most of his footage and the footage that was yellow, simply turned into black & white or sepia, old movie.

Anyway i'm thinking on getting a new camera now and was thinking about getting the Sony Z1 or equivalent.

What do guys recommend?

I look forward to your comments.

Regards
Wayne

Chris Barcellos November 28th, 2007 01:08 PM

In that price range ? I would also consider Canon AH1. Higher up, Sony's EX1 at around $7 or $8 K, with tapless HD only capture is just shipping, has 1/2 " chips, that will give better low light for HD, but still maybe not as good as SD from the Sony PD 170.

Wesley Alfvin November 28th, 2007 01:56 PM

Hey Wayne,

I'm in the same boat. I actually bought an HDR-FX7 to "upgrade" from my VX2000, but I'm extremely disappointed in the low light capabilities. An average to low lit room is too dark for this thing. The vx2000 spoiled me, and I hear your 2100 is even 1 lux better so you'd really be disappointed. Although I haven't worked with it yet, the PMW-EX1 mentioned by Chis seems like the way to go. The 1/2 CMOS sensors are supposed to be great. Not to mention it can shoot xdcam 35mbps (as opposed to 25 in HDV).

Check out reviews and the forum on this site. There are some reports of a vignetting problem with some early models, but I'm sure this will be resolved. Sounds like a really exciting camera.

If you want to stick with tape, the new HVR-V7U sounds promising. But it's not due out till February and has smaller CMOS sensors than the EX1, but bigger than the V1U.

GOOD LUCK!

Wes

Wesley Alfvin November 28th, 2007 01:59 PM

OOPS... It's the HVR-Z7U not V7U...

Wes

Marco Dias November 28th, 2007 02:07 PM

Wait for the HVR-Z7, you won't regret it!

John Moon November 29th, 2007 12:52 PM

We are looking at purchasing 2 additional cameras and we are leaning toward the Canon A1...great camera at that price point. We have a Canon XL2 and many of the same control configurations are on the A1. We also shoot Sony Z1's and love those as well but I am of the opinion that the Canon A1 is very comparable in image quality to the Z1 at a lower price. I don't however care for the small eyepiece as I use the eyepiece quite a bit but suppose I can live with it.
John