DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Question regarding XH A1 or XL H1 for my upcoming wedding. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/109050-question-regarding-xh-a1-xl-h1-my-upcoming-wedding.html)

Yang Wen November 28th, 2007 04:30 PM

Question regarding XH A1 or XL H1 for my upcoming wedding.

Hi, I rented two XL H1s for a wedding this weekend and have a couple of questions regarding editing 24F footage. I assume the footage from the A1 and H1 are identical from a workflow perspective. I've posted this question in the H1 forum. I'd appreciate if you can reply to it.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...723#post783723

thanks
Yang

Mike Teutsch November 28th, 2007 04:56 PM

Check the manuals, but I believe the A1 records the 24f footage to the tape as 24f and the H1 records the 24f footage to the tape as converted 60i. Might change your work flow.

Mike

Josh Laronge November 28th, 2007 05:16 PM

I'm under the impression the formats are the same except for the name.

Mike Teutsch November 28th, 2007 05:21 PM

Nope! The H1 records to tape as 60i. It puts out 24f out of the SDI port, but not to tape. The A1 puts 24f to tape.

Mike

Josh Laronge November 28th, 2007 05:43 PM

Mike take a look at the H1 manual page 56 and the A1 manual page 40.

Mike Teutsch November 28th, 2007 05:51 PM

I have my H1 manual in hand but not the A1. Page 56 in the H1 manual, check the diagrams on the right side. 30f and 24f are recorded to tape as 60i.

I just checked an A1 manual the other day for someone else and it said that the A1 recorded 24 f to tape as 24f. Does your manual say something different?

Mike

Josh Laronge November 28th, 2007 05:57 PM

On page 56 in the H1 manual (I'm looking at the pdf version) under the 24f Mode section the diagram is labeled 60i to tape. But, if you look at the diagram you'll see there is no change in the frames. I think this is a typo and the H1 records 24f to tape. As far as I understand there is no difference in the imaging of the A1/G1/H1 only feature differences.

Mike Teutsch November 28th, 2007 06:01 PM

If it's a typo, then it is in my actual XLH1 manual as well. That's all I can go by, but I hope it is a typo! Maybe some Canon expert will chime in---------CHRIS!?!?!

Mike

Josh Laronge November 28th, 2007 06:10 PM

I've captured 24f from both cameras to FCP using the 1080p24 Easy Set-up and they both came in perfectly with no indication one was 60i.

The way I understand it is that the conversion to 60i is only during playback to a monitor or from the HD/SD SDI or component out. From the firewire port it's 24 frame progressive.

Mike Teutsch November 28th, 2007 06:13 PM

Then I'll vote and root for a typo. :)

Thanks---Mike

Yang Wen November 28th, 2007 10:06 PM

Hey Josh,

Once you captured the 24F and edited, how do you go about down converting it to SD? Is there an included preset in FCP that will work well for the down conversion?

Mike Teutsch November 28th, 2007 10:12 PM

Yang,

You can down-convert to SD as you capture and that would make it easier to edit too!

Mike

Yang Wen November 28th, 2007 11:08 PM

Mike: Do you mean to enable a down-conversion option in the playback camera?

I'd prefer to capture in HDV mode and then have the flexibility of producing an SD version now and quickly an HD version sometime in the future.

Mike Teutsch November 29th, 2007 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 783923)
Mike: Do you mean to enable a down-conversion option in the playback camera?

I'd prefer to capture in HDV mode and then have the flexibility of producing an SD version now and quickly an HD version sometime in the future.

Yang,

I don't have an HD burner so the only way I can output a full HD version is to "Export To Tape," and send it back to my camera. If I export to DVD then it will be in SD. I use Premiere Pro, so I don't know how FCP works, but I would assume it is about the same. Just choose to output to DVD and in a 16x9 SD version. The encoder will do the rest.

Do a short test run before the wedding and test the output!

Mike

Mike Teutsch November 29th, 2007 08:26 AM

Yang,

One last note. Your basic problem will be or is how FCP will handle your footage, so I would post any specific questions regarding this the the "Final Cut Pro" forum.

Again, you should have no problem just editing in HD and outputting to SD DVD.

Mike