Wireless Microphone set up for weddings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 20th, 2002, 08:08 PM   #16
Machinist Mate

"The funny thing is that he's a professional cameraman but had never even heard of the XL-1."

LOL! I brought my XL1 into a local station to dub some of my miniDV footage for them to use in a show, and the show's producer said he had gotten an XL1 GIVEN (!!!!) to him and he didn't even know what it was! And his station uses DVCPRO for ENG work! I told him to grab the thing and go run around and play Steven Soderbergh with it, and to get back to me with his reactions. I think he had thought it was some Hi-8 rig or something!

Oh yes, and some Boston stations gave me some cr@p about how it had to be shot in Beta SP, nevermind how mini DV is 520 lines and SP is 400. To say nothing of if you look at some of the Beta SP boxes some of these indy dudes are sporting, you have to wonder how many billions of hours are on the heads, or if they haven't been cleaned and PM'ed since who knows when.

So I guess not the whole world has gotten behind the XL1 or miniDV. But I'll be dad-gummed if I'm about to invest a dime in a format (beta SP) that Sony has actually discontinued building (according to a Panasonic news release). The rest of the world is just going to have to catch up with us.

Ah, Nady! Yes, I remember using Nadys as a DJ. Some people claimed Samsons were better, but I never thought so. I wonder if that controlled indoor environment includes AC power, cuz I don't recall that receiver being battery-powered. But that was long ago, and I ain't seen everything.
Old March 21st, 2002, 11:38 AM   #17
Wrangler

Nady's Are Still Good.

I am not sure how long it will be before Sennheiser produces a dual UHF system cheap.

The Evolution 100 system is pretty darn small. The receiver is slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes. A dual receiver would only be twice that size.

Range is very, very good. A dual system, which has the advantage of redundancy. All that for around $900.

I have not used a Nady. However, I have heard plenty of good about them and almost bought one. Plenty of people swear by them, and few swear at them.

One tip I did get was ask the people in the areas where you shoot what they are using. If they are not having problems with VHF in their area, chances are you won't either.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2002, 01:00 PM   #18
Machinist Mate

Sounds interesting...
but I'll probably hang in there with my Azdens until I see what Sennheiser comes out with. I really like having the dual receiver in one box.
Old April 12th, 2002, 06:16 PM   #19
Regular Crew

small transmitter

I have a shure transmitter and receiver. Originally, I bought the thing so I could walk freely with my guitar. Does anyone know if theres a smaller transmitter than the size of a cigarette pack? People talk about these lapel mikes, are those basically connected to the cigarette pack or are they also the transmitter? I just got the ma200, basically I got it because I wanted a nice shoulder rest. I have a mackie 14 channel mixing board again originally for my band stuff but now I suppose I could use that, but who would cart all this equipment around? Even to a wedding its a bit over kill. I'm not sure what to use the ma200 for other than a shoulder rest. I'm going to shoot a wedding in a few weeks anyone have any tips?
ja135321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2002, 07:26 PM   #20
Machinist Mate

Re: small transmitter

<<<-- People talk about these lapel mikes, are those basically connected to the cigarette pack or are they also the transmitter? -->>>

The lapel mic (lavalier) plugs into the "cigarette pack" (transmitter) and most transmitters are about the same size. Also, most transmitters can accept a variety of mics plugged into it, like the guitar pickup, headband mic (such as worn by Garth Brooks, Britney Spears and dance instructors) or the more common lavalier clipped to the lapel or shirt collar. I would probably stick to that format. For shooting a wedding, I can see little practical benefit from using anything more than one or possibly two external mics, you can save the Mackie for shooting concerts or stage shows, IMHO.

Most of my event and corporate video is miked with one lavalier, and I rarely even use the native audio tracks for the B-roll footage I shoot, choosing instead to use the narration/interview/voiceover assoicated with the talk roll or just mixing in music in the edit/post-production process.
Old April 16th, 2002, 02:45 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Nathan, I'm looking to buy the Sennheiser EW112P wireless system. In your opinion, how do you rate the ME-2 lav. mic? I am not familiar with it. I plan on using it it a wide variety of setups, indoors and outdoors, quiet and noisy.

I was contemplating going with the Sennheiser MKE-2 Gold or Sony ECM-77 hard wire lavs because of their superior sound quality, but for the same price and being given the freedom of wireless, I'm now contemplating the EW112P system.

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2002, 07:24 AM   #22

I use the ME -2 Lav mic. It is a great mic! It is an omni - it will pick up the groom, bride and pastor very clearly. The groom will always be a little more bassy because of the chest cavity pick-up but that can be corrected in post.

I plan on getting the ME-4 uni-directional soon - but for different uses than the wedding vows.
Old April 30th, 2002, 08:16 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Sorry this is late but my wife has just found out how much fun it is to shop on eBay ;)

Thanks for the response on the ME-2. I placed the order for the EW112P and will get it in about a week!

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2002, 11:33 PM   #24
Major Player

Guy,

when you have given it the once over drop me an e-mail please a let me know what you think of it. I too am looking at purchasing the EWP 112.

Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 01:53 PM   #25
New Boot

Wireless Mic

"The general advice is to stick to UHF units, but they cost 2-3 times as much as VHF units. If you are trying to save dollars get a Nady VHF wireless: they are probably the best buy."

Does anyone know if you can hook a Nady wireless up to the RCA audio inputs on the XL1? It appears the only way is to use the headphone output of the Nady receiver as a line out to the camera. Will this work, or is there another way?
Steve Klusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 08:50 PM   #26
Wrangler

Other mics work fine with EW112P

I have used Radio Shack lavs and Shure hand mics without any problems. The standard omni mic that comes with the unit is pretty good and works quite well.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2002, 03:15 PM   #27
Machinist Mate

>>"Does anyone know if you can hook a Nady wireless up to the RCA audio inputs on the XL1?"<<
Steve, have you tried unplugging the on-camera mic and conecting the Nady to that input? I know it's mini** on that end and probably 1/4" phone jack on the Nady end, but that's just a cabling question. The RCAs on the XL1 are looking for something a bit more amplified than mic-level signals, such as if you were to run the signal through a Canon MA100 mic adapter.

**actually, stereo mini, but don't sweat the small stuff.
Old December 30th, 2002, 03:59 PM   #28
New Boot

Thanks Mike. As suggested in another thread, I was hoping to use the camera mike and simultaneosly record through the wireless lav onto audio 2 through the RCA jacks. I don't have an MA 100, but perhaps it's time I considered getting one.
Steve Klusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #29
New Boot

I threw away my Azden WR-22 system (yes...threw it away) and purchased the following setup:

3- Azden 311-LT True Diversity Table Top receivers with lapel mics and rack mount brackets @ $215 each
1- Gemini Power Conditioner @ $59.95
1- Behringer MX602A Mixer @ $59.95
1- Raxxess 3 Space Slider Drawer @ $69.95
1- Gator Rack Mount Case @ $89.00

I divided the drawer into 2 sections using a piece of plywood. The mixer is on 1 side and all my mics, cabling, batteries are kept in the other side. Whenever I do a wedding, I simply place the Gator case on a table in the rear of the church, wire the audio into Camera 2, and have yet to get any static. My mics are placed on the Groom, the Priest, and the podium where the readings are being read.
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #30
Regular Crew

You Threw Away your WR-22??
what the hell... some of us are dirt poor and need a decent mic. You should have given it to me!
Chris Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques