Wireless Microphone set up for weddings - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 30th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #31
Machinist Mate

Well, I didn't throw mine away, but my Azden WR22 system hasn't left the pile on the desk since I got my Sennheiser ENG kit. No more static and dropouts! It's not diversity but it is UHF, and the working distance is incredible.
Old April 9th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #32
Major Player

Further to the accolades of the sennheiser eng kit: When purchased with the plug on transmitter as well as the lav pak., this is just the thing for weddings. You have the needed lav for the groom and then later, with the lav switched off, you have the wireless transmitter to plug into your favorite shure 58 or equivalent to capture the drunken diatribes from the collection of heathens that the poor slob is marrying into. Often, the single brother of the groom provides the most interesting content.

Sorry for slightly straying off topic during the preceding two sentances.

Sennhiser makes a nice kit.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #33
Wrangler

Yes, you are seeing the reasons why people recommend the Evolution 100 kit: it works very well.

[No longer live in San Antonio, back @ home now]

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:44 PM   #34
Machinist Mate

Maybe a bit OT, Jimmy Mc, but funny! (and true) I'm lovin' the ENG kit, even use it now for SR (sound reinforcement), plugging it into my Mackie 1402vlz, only wish the rcver was not battery-only powered.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:08 AM   #35
Trustee

Not that I trust my Azden WMS-pro setup very much but with time it is actually working better. As more and more people switch to UHF mics the crowded VHF space is starting to clear up. It still isn't perfect but it is much better than it was a few years ago. I shoot a show for a cable station and I hook up my Azden as a backup in case the audio board croaks or the dude running it pulls a moron move(Which they have done). I have shot over 20 episodes and I never once got a single blip of static from the azden mic which was a big surprise because 5 years ago I couldn't go 5 minutes without some sort of static. I never used the thing for this purpose and just worte it off as a big waste of money. It still isn't a great mic but at least it isn't a waste of money anymore. I think they are great backup mics for the price.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:06 AM   #36
Machinist Mate

Is it overcrowding of VHF channels, or just poor radio signal transmission on the part of my Azden? I suspect the latter, because there hasn't been any change in the number (0) of competing transmitters in most of the venues I have used the Azdens at (i.e. no other wireless mics in operation and unlikely any other intentional transmitting sources in that frequency range--there haven't been any other videographers impinging on my channels or leaving them to go UHF) as far as I can tell. Other sources of RFI have appeared to be the culprit in my case... electrical motors, lights, computers and their peripherals, and the like. Along with just plain old signal dropout from the transmitter.

Actually I had really good results on the VHF band with my Shure systems with the Marcad true diversity receivers...real pro quality. Nice strong signal with user-friendly adjustments including frequency agility. Only thing is they are limited to stationary shoots because the receivers are half-rack size and mains-powered. Not very handy for the roving cameraman. :-)
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:16 AM   #37
Trustee

I actually take back wht I just said about the Azden WMS-pro mics. I just used them as backup for two different shoots this weekend and I ended up getting a crap load of static and problems. When these stupid things work they are ok. The problem is you never know if they are going to be ok. Get a UHF mic you will be much better off. Not to say that VHF isn't good. Some of the most expensive lectrosoinc mics that cost thousands of dollars are VHF. Azden just has a poor way of using VHF.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #38
Machinist Mate

Exactly! I just got sick of hoping mine wouldn't suddenly pick up a load of sizzling and fizzing for no apparent reason right when someone was saying something important (you should see the creative editing I had to try then). Never had that happen on my Shure VHFs. Or the Senn UHFs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques