Freelancing For Free, Enough is Enough! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Closed Thread

Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oveson View Post
When I shoot for someone freelance I don't expect them to be paid by the client before they pay me. Their cash flow is their problem.
I actually had a local producer tell me that he doesn't pay the crew until he gets paid. Major red flag there.

Legitimate people in this line of work understand that payment is usually expected at the conclusion of the shoot. Nuff said.

To Jenna,

I know it's hard when you start out to evaluate your own skill level, but if you've been called back for more weddings, then you must not be that crummy. You are worth something, even if you just show up to move the tripod for someone else!

As Meryem suggested, you'll need to become a bit more assertive to survive as your own boss.

Good luck and hang in there Jenna.

-gb-
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:53 PM   #17
Regular Crew

i've been working for free on that as well, without a music video to show, I have not

Jenna,

I think folks here have offered solid advice in the case of working for free. Bottom line is when if he asks about you working you simply ask what he will pay. No problem there. I would never work for someone unless the rate (and time of payment) has been agreed on by both involved. Never assume anything when it comes to business/money.

Now, something else caught my attention in your post. The music video business. This reminds me of a former student of mine (who may very well be reading this thread) that seems pretty sure that he will create a demand for local bands using his services to create music videos. Not to burst your bubble but, in the spirit of a reality check, I think you may find that most local bands don't have $$$ to spare for production of a music video. I may be wrong but as a musician (who also knows many other musicians), I can't think of anyone that has $$$ to spend on video. Most scrape just to pay for studio recording time. Just a warning . I don't mean to be so negative (well, it is Monday I suppose.. ha ha) but that's how I see it. Maybe things in your area are different (?).

Best of luck in the future. Take the advice others have offered about being firm and confident when talking $$$.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna Klingensmith View Post
The reason I am afraid to bring is up is mainly because he is the only person I have networked with so far in this business around my area, and I think it's good to have a contact.
He's not a good contact. Just tell him no. Frankly, it's a disservice to his clients for him not to hire a paid videographer that does this habitually as a career.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:54 PM   #19
Regular Crew

What's this guy's link?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:27 PM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hanna View Post
What's this guy's link?
We don't need to know this guy's link. DV Info Net isn't about vigilante justice and I don't want a lynch mob mentality here. If it's posted, I'll remove it immediately; if the issue is pressed then I'll close accounts. Let me make that loud and clear.

Jenna has received excellent advice and there isn't much else that can be added to this subject that hasn't already been said... so with that, the topic is closed and it's time to move on.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques