dmb video - "Something better than nothing" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 9th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

dmb video - "Something better than nothing"

I have been busy editing,

Here is another vid. This was shot a while back and I am itching to get into the newer stuff I shot in HDV and 16:9 -
I know some of you will have trouble watchin 4:3 but my backlog was large.

http://dmbvp.blogspot.com/2007/12/adam-erin.html

I hope you enjoy it.
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Interesting video, David. I am not sure what to think. It seemed like an odd location (office tower/mall). The music seemed odd as well given the subject matter. Overall, it seemed like a bunch of people dressed up in wedding clothes that were bored of sitting around.

But, if the couple liked it, to each their own, I guess!

None of the magic/tenderness/emotion I tend to think weddings are made of. But it may be that I am just from a different era or planet.

Please take no offence as none is intended.
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Trustee

David,
The little blurb before this wedding video says that you're no longer doing weddings? What makes up the bulk of your work these days?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #4
Major Player

I really liked the editing! It flowed really well with the music. I agree that the location was a bit funny, but they plan their own weddings, eh? :)

A couple of the shots when everyone was clowning around got a good chuckle out of me. I was especially amused by the contrast between what the guys do and what the women do when left on their own to clown around. :D

C
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Curt,
If you have followed David's work, he is renowned for the unconventional. It really makes his work stand out from everyone else. Great job editing and fast pace, bet the bride and groom love it! Sorry not to see anymore work from you though, best of luck. Merry Christmas
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Major Player

I liked it quite a bit. Out of the ordinary, for sure, but that's a good thing.

The only thing I would cut back on is the film scratches, but it does work with the song and if the clients like it, then I like it :)

It's also refreshing to hear a song outside of "At Last" or "Chapel of Love". It's an "out of the box" choice but reflects the personality of the subjects very well.

Great job.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone,
I appreciate the comments and I am still waiting for the one that matters, and that is the bride :)

As far as location goes,
it rained on us and we where forced to find someplace inside to shoot.
This was a mall, office building near the church and close to the reception. At first, I wasn't gung ho about the local but after editing it, I appreciated the change of scenery that I normally edit to.
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
David,
The little blurb before this wedding video says that you're no longer doing weddings? What makes up the bulk of your work these days?
Hi Ethan,

I have a number of weddings left to edit, which is keeping me busy and I keep getting other jobs come in. Some I take, some I don't. I have been doing some ENG work, media calls and giving the footage to news stations that need it. I have been doing more gigs where I just shoot, and I have been doing some low budget training videos that don't require a lot of work and pay ok.

My future plans are still unwritten. I did a shoot about a month ago now. I shot Self Help Guru, Tony Robbins and something he said made sense to me.
That was "being in a higher state when you make decisions" , no - not the nice dreams and up in smoke state, but being in a place where you feel good about your life.

One of the things that has been eating me up over the years, has been the 'backlog'. As I focus only on removing the jobs from my life, I feel better. As I feel better, I get glimpses of where I want to be down the road and how video productions will play a role in the future.

Anyways - sorry for the babble, but that is where I am at.

David
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #9
Major Player

David - nice work! Hey what's the market like for music video work in your neck of the woods? I did one recently for some band friends of mine and they've just asked me to do another. They are fun to do and a nice diversion from weddings but I don't know how much I could get paid for this. I have to think there is growing market though for music videos - almost a neccessity for any original music artist to have in their press kit. Any thoughts?

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
David - nice work! Hey what's the market like for music video work in your neck of the woods? I did one recently for some band friends of mine and they've just asked me to do another. They are fun to do and a nice diversion from weddings but I don't know how much I could get paid for this. I have to think there is growing market though for music videos - almost a neccessity for any original music artist to have in their press kit. Any thoughts?

Art
Hey Art, there really is not set price, you have to more or less just work with each group and set a budget. Depending on my work load and attitude at the time, my costs change, and my desire to work for less changes as well :)

Another market you should look into is band promo clips and its needed for bookings. Those are cheaper productions, video a set or two and cut the best segments into a montage of 3 to 5 minutes.
Most bands cant afford more than 1k for, if that. Its a pretty simple gig and edit.
Old December 11th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathew Bonner View Post
Thanks everyone,
I appreciate the comments and I am still waiting for the one that matters, and that is the bride :)

Bride responded today and used the word "love" three times in one sentence :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques