DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   comments on my website, please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/109977-comments-my-website-please.html)

Don Bazley December 11th, 2007 10:38 AM

comments on my website, please

Since I've noticed several people posting asking for feedback on their sites, and people have offered useful feedback, I thought I'd solicit comments on my site.

The site was created a year ago and seems to have done well for my first year. This year I did 8 weddings and I am hoping to do 20 this year. I also do training video and music videos (live performance as well as "music videos"). I consciously decided not to promote my other services on this site and to keep it all geared toward weddings. I don't plan on doing any major overhaul to the site but I do plan on adding some photo samples as soon as I dig myself out of my editing backlog. My intention is to keep it simple.

One thing I did change since the site was created was that I have added my pricing. I wrestled with that decision for quite a while. I realize that most wedding vidoegraphers do not post their rates. I decided to post my rates because I go tired of communicating with people that can't afford our services. I figure my rates are nothing to hide from. There really is not anyone in my area doing what I do. So far, generally, if people like the sample on my site there is actually very little "selling" involved. Usually my first client meetings are more geared to them getting to know me, who I am and my motivations for doing what I do, as well as my philosophy. I was surprised that this year most of my clients came from outside our area (usually somehow connected to Cornell University). The site has been quite effective with these folks. Several of them even said directly that it as the website that got them interested in my company.

Any comments are appreciated:

www.cascadevideo.com

- Don B. (yet another 'dmb')

Noa Put December 11th, 2007 11:06 AM

I liked the set up, it's as you said that keeping it simple is often the best way to present your company. I used to have a FAQ page on my site but based on the questions I get through mail or phone I noticed that people don't even bother to read, they only look at the video/fotosamples and at the price. That's why I removed the faq page again. I also liked the fact that the demovideo loaded real fast and it was good imagequality, what did you use to compress for use on the internet if I may ask?

Regarding showing your rates, couldn't agree more. I have displayed my rates from the beginning, if they contact me I know that price is not going to be an issue.

Bill Grant December 11th, 2007 11:30 AM

Hey Don,
I think the site looks good. Very clean, easily navigated. The only objection I have is the silhoueted guy with the XL camera. It seems out of place. It is also never helpful to advertise technology on a wedding website because brides don't care about technology. Clean and simple is very important. We also post our prices and will do so even this year with a major price increase. We get just as many calls, and still book about 95% (thus the prices increse) good luck.
Bill
www.grantphotovideo.com

Dave Robinson December 11th, 2007 11:45 AM

Hi,

just looked at the site. Seems well designed, not my favourite colour combo, but that's just personal preference. It seems well thought out and constructed.

I'm not sure what the legal ramifications of accessibility are in the US but here in the UK it is now considered illegal for a site to be non accessible. I ran your site through an online accessibility scanner and you came out doing pretty well. One or two warnings but nothing untoward.

Well done, nice looking site!

Mark Bournes December 11th, 2007 12:03 PM

The site looks good, not a fan of the homepage "green" color.
I watched your demo, 1 suggestion, if you're going to do a lot of handheld you might want to invest in some sort of stabilizer. The Handheld stuff is a little shaky. I'm not sure why the buildings, flowers and so on are not shot on sticks?

It would give a much cleaner appearance in the video.

Just a suggestion.

Don Bazley December 11th, 2007 02:03 PM

Thanks for the input so far folks.

Noa: The sample video is a Flash movie. I exported AVI out of Premier and then created the Flash file using a Moyea Flash encoder. The Moyea encoder created a very small file that seems pretty easy to load.

Dave: Thanks for the points on accessibility. I am going to look into those issues when I get a chance. Thanks for testing it.

Mark: Yes, I know the shots are a bit more shaky than I would like them to be. I actually used a Magiqcam for this but it was one of my first times (trying) using it. With a Betacam, or even an XL-1, I am proud of my steady shooting. With using the tiny PD170 I find it almost impossible to get steady moving images without a stabilizer. Getting comfortable with balancing and using the Magiqcam is something I need to work on between now and spring time. I've gotten better but I feel I still have a way to go before I master the Magiqcam. (Any input from anyone in that area is appreciated).

Thanks again for the input everyone.

Dale Stoltzfus December 11th, 2007 02:57 PM

I also like it. As said before, very clean, easy to navigate, etc etc. I actually like the silhouette motif - even though most people won't be drawn because they recognize the cam, that doesn't matter. The point is, it's a guy with a pro video camera.