DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Newbie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/110583-newbie.html)

Jessica Gourdine December 19th, 2007 08:39 AM

Hello everyone,

First let me say I got into the videography business by default. Our pastor (my dad) wanted to start a tv ministry @ our church so he recruited my cousin and I, and after we got the equipment and software, we learned thru trial and error the basics of camera operating and editing. Some time later a guy from my cousin's job asked him to record his daughters wedding, and during the ceremony, when I had the camera capturing the grooms expression as he saw his bride walk down the aisle, I knew this was what I wanted to do. Since then my passion for video in all aspects (commercials, documetaries, etc) has grown tremendously. I'm enrolling in school next year to learn some in depth editing techniques and I can't wait. I wish I could upload a preceremony video from my (temporary) job's computer that I did for you guys to critique, but I'm not even supposed to have internet access....don't ask. :-p

This website has offered me so much information and taught me so many things, I tell everyone who mentions a camera about this site.

Ok, enough of that; since this is my first post I wanted to get all the traditional introductory formalities out of the way. My actual question is whether or not as a wedding videography business, do I need to get a retail license since I'll be selling products (dvd's) thru the business?

Steve House December 19th, 2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica Gourdine (Post 795240)
Ok, enough of that; since this is my first post I wanted to get all the traditional introductory formalities out of the way. My actual question is whether or not as a wedding videography business, do I need to get a retail license since I'll be selling products (dvd's) thru the business?

You haven't given your location in your info so it would be anyone's guess what licensing, if any, that you may need. Requirements like that vary wildly from one part of the country to the next, even from county to county and city to city within the same state. Your best starting point would be to check with your local Chamber of Commerce and/or a local attorney on what is required to start a business.

Nick Weeks December 19th, 2007 09:11 AM

Yeah, it does vary. For example in Alabama I need a store license, plus a photography and videography license for my county, which is about $25/year, in addition to a city business license that's about $110/year. No need for a state license.

Even though I'm providing a service, it still results in a final tangible good (a DVD) so I have to charge sales tax on the entire invoice. It's not really that much of a hassle since I just do this on the side form my normal day job, it's not a lot of overhead, plus the customer pays all sales tax, so its not an added expense for me either. I just go ahead and charge the sales tax on everything to be safe, plus everyone is generally used to seeing sales tax on everything they buy... I've never received a complaint.

I put a line in my contract that 'all business deemed to have taken place at my location' or something like that... that keeps me from having to deal with the differences among cities and makes things easier because I only charge one standard tax rate instead of the different rate that might be in whatever city I'm in.

But like Steve said, check with your local chamber of commerce, because it could be totally different for your area.

Jessica Gourdine December 19th, 2007 09:32 AM

Thank you for the advice. I greatly appreciate it.

Nick Weeks December 19th, 2007 10:03 AM

This looks like a good place to start :)

http://www.sc.gov/Portal/Category/BUSINESS_TOP

Ethan Cooper December 19th, 2007 10:57 AM

I recommend dealing only in cash and cocaine, preferably out of a non-descript van or shack in the countryside.
If this makes you uneasy, then I'd follow Nick's advice.

You can see our work at weddingsforsmack.com

Oh, and Jessica... welcome to the forum.

Jessica Gourdine December 19th, 2007 01:43 PM

Lol. Thanks Ethan.