DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding season? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/110601-wedding-season.html)

Brian Luce December 19th, 2007 03:15 PM

Wedding season?

Is there really such a thing as the "wedding season"? If there is, when is it and when do people usually start booking their videographers?

I get emails from websites, and no matter what month, they always say, "Next month is the start of wedding season!!! Advertise with us!"

Don Bazley December 19th, 2007 03:28 PM

I'd say it depends where you are. In general I do believe that, even here in the cold and snowy northeast, people get married all year 'round. For me though, I see the "season" as May-October.

My .02,

Don

Dana Salsbury December 19th, 2007 03:40 PM

In Phoenix, late September - November, then January - May.

Robert Bec December 19th, 2007 04:11 PM

here in Sydney Australia June - July are the slowest periods being winter

Brian Luce December 19th, 2007 06:59 PM

Well this is interesting. Everyone has their own idea of when the season is. How about West Coast?

Ethan Cooper December 19th, 2007 08:19 PM

I'm in Louisiana and we're pretty steady all year round.
This year my best month was December. Go figure.

Don Bloom December 19th, 2007 09:53 PM

Here in Chicago as in ALL parts of the world people get married all year long BUT for me personally I generally don't start my wedding season until mid to late February sometimes March and end in December with my heaviest months April thru October although in the last 4 or 5 years December has become a good month as well. That's extra Xmas money and money for my January timeoff. I also done January 1st and December 31st weddings so whadda I know? ;-)
Don

Brian Luce December 19th, 2007 11:00 PM

How far in advance of the wedding do people typically book?

Jeremy Rank December 20th, 2007 03:18 AM

Brian,

The 'wedding season' is pretty much separated by the state, community, climate, geographic location, etc.

In Arizona, the wedding season is pretty much when it's not blistering hot and freezing cold. In California, where I am, it's pretty much from May to October. In Australia, it's going to probably be the exact opposite (since I believe their warm and cold seasons are reversed from the northern hemisphere...correct me if I'm wrong).

When do they book?

I've had couples book as far as a year ahead of time....I have one booked for next May and one for next June...and will probably book another 8-10 before the season starts. I've also, believe it or not, had a best man drive my place in the morning with payment-in-full and wanted me to shoot a wedding that afternoon!

Since you're on the West Coast, presumably of the USA, then the time to start getting bookings for next year is NOW. You may have noticed that at the 'end' of the season is when alot of the bridal shows take place. That's the best time for the venues to book vendors and the perfect time for brides to start shopping for vendors.

What to do during the down time? I have a few large corporate jobs lined up to fill in from December to May to give me the boost needed to pay bills, buy equipment, etc.

Noa Put December 20th, 2007 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 795669)
How far in advance of the wedding do people typically book?

In Belgium wedding season is between May and October, there are some requests for the remaining winter months but not that much. Most bookings are generally 6 months before the date and some one year before. this year I had 2 weddings were they requested the video 1 week before :)

Don Bloom December 20th, 2007 06:35 AM

I've had people book a year or more out and this year had a client call me 2 weeks before the date. I guess they found the money in their budget and I was open that weekend (it was 1 that I felt since I wasn't booked earlier take it off and rest but that plan went out the window)
Generally for me it's anywhere from about 4 to 9 months out.
Don

Dana Salsbury December 20th, 2007 02:06 PM

I officiate as well, and got a call three hours before a wedding. The kicker is that when I gave my rate, she said she would keep looking!

Don Bloom December 20th, 2007 02:13 PM

Dana,
THAT is one for the books! lol

Hmmm, i wonderif she found someone?
Maybe she's still looking ;-)

Don

Denny Gay December 21st, 2007 09:55 AM

florida year round

In florida weddings occur year round. I have a wedding on Dec. 29, then on feb 23, then on April 5.

My last wedding was in November.