Sharing a trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 21st, 2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sharing a trailer

http://take1productions.blogspot.com...en-daniel.html
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Don,
Off axis stedicam, lotsa slowmo, blur vignette, a crazy wide fish eye, and that music... adds up to an official Ethan Cooper seal of approval. (I actually want to get stickers made up that have this on them. how fun would that be?)

How wide is that lens anyway? It was doing some crazy house of mirrors distortion on the exterior tilt of the (church?). I kinda liked it.

I'm about to aks the question that's one of my pet peeves, but what is that music? Feel free to respond with a "spend 3 hours finding it yourself like I did". Really, it wont offend me.

Good work Don.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Don:

Very nice work. Very emotional pace to it.
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

wow

that was awesome!! good work..beautiful shots!
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Ethan,

A great tool for figuring out the title of music:

www.tunatic.com

Unfortunately it didn't identify Don's song, but that is the first time it hasn't worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Don,
Off axis stedicam, lotsa slowmo, blur vignette, a crazy wide fish eye, and that music... adds up to an official Ethan Cooper seal of approval. (I actually want to get stickers made up that have this on them. how fun would that be?)

How wide is that lens anyway? It was doing some crazy house of mirrors distortion on the exterior tilt of the (church?). I kinda liked it.

I'm about to aks the question that's one of my pet peeves, but what is that music? Feel free to respond with a "spend 3 hours finding it yourself like I did". Really, it wont offend me.

Good work Don.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

what are you guys using to create such a smooth vignette? I've tried mattes made in photoshop and feathering it out but it always turns out too choppy/gradient looking....
Zach Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Zack:

We us Magic Bullet but not sure what Don is using...may very well be MB.
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:04 PM   #8
Still Motion

Thanks for sharing Don. I really enjoyed the clip and thought the music choice was excellent. Some of the slo-mo felt a little forced for me- almost as if it was done out of necessity to save a shot or fill a gap in the timeline. I think I kept wanting it to move just a little faster and pull me into the story more. The blur looked a little old school too. Was that a faux tilt-shift effect you were going for? I really enjoyed the fisheye shots and the diversity in angle and lenses used.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 04:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

thanks everyone for checking my clip out. i'll try to answer some questions.

"How wide is that lens anyway? It was doing some crazy house of mirrors distortion on the exterior tilt of the (church?). I kinda liked it."

i think 0.3x

"what are you guys using to create such a smooth vignette?"

filters in edius

"Was that a faux tilt-shift effect you were going for?"

NO...i was covering the air condition unit and the 2nd shooter. :-)
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:00 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Don,

Visually I liked it. U had some great shots in there. Only some of the slo-mo's I find it to be too slow and forced. Other than that, ur shot composition is great.

Now audio,

Even though it was out of an ordinary sound track, I find it to be little too much for wedding. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in for using different and unconventional music in my weddings as well. But at times, I feel that some of us step out of the line (including me). When I close my eyes and listen to this sound track, a happy bride and a groom are the last ppl that comes into my mind. This soundtrack gives me a feeling of patriotism or something tragic about to or just happened. I don't know if that's because of years of effect I got from Hollywood movies.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #11
Regular Crew

agree, a little too much slow mo. though looks really good, a few of those shots being normal speed might help the flow.

I like the music, helps force u to appreciate what a major moment what this wedding is for the couple.

anyone figure out what song that is? I think it's the same woman/group from the end of gladiator.

Last edited by Mark Leonard; January 5th, 2008 at 06:11 PM.
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Amazing what can be done from ten shots slowed to crawl, smothered with Enya-like pseudo-Celtic motifs.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #13
Major Player

That was nice.

The music made me think of people about to prepare for an epic battle of mortal combat... so it's perfect for wedding music hehe.
Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques