DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Looking to get started (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/111363-looking-get-started.html)

Bryan Lawler January 1st, 2008 03:34 PM

Looking to get started

Hi, I am looking to get started in filming weddings. I was wondering what cameras you all are using? Anyone filming in HD? My budget is $3,000-10,000 per camera. I have a lot of the accessories, but would be interested in what gear you use the most.

Thanks,

Bryan

Ethan Cooper January 1st, 2008 04:06 PM

The budget you've proposed should cover almost any camera in the prosumer category, so it depends on your personal preferences really.

If it were me with that budget I'd go with the EX1's due to their 1/2" chips, XDCam codec (as compared to HDV), and low light capability.
These camera have the smaller form factor that works well with our style of shooting and my love for the Stedicam Merlin, but some people are not comfortable with the tapeless workflow.

If you fall into the tapelessphobic crowd, then I'd go with the Canon A1's.

If you prefer a more traditional ENG camera feel, then you may want to opt for the JVC HD110's, but stedicams for this camera cost substantially more than a simple Merlin setup due to it's larger size.

My main concern for you is your initial cost in gear to "get in" to shooting weddings. If you're willing to drop $20k on cameras, how much are you wanting to make per event? It may be difficult to command a premium for your work if you're just getting started.

Bryan Lawler January 1st, 2008 04:22 PM

Ethan,

Thanks for your comments. I am looking to purchase three cameras. Of course, I would want the best buy for the money. I have been looking at the EX1, but I am a little nervous about it only having tapeless functionality however the other new Sony slated to be released in Feb offers both options (HVR-Z7.)

Thanks for you concern about my inital cost. But, if you look at the cost of the cameras you mention and times it by three, we are looking at $10,000 - 20,000 depending on which camera.

Canon XH-A1 ($ 3,299.95)
JVC GY-HD100U ($ 4,599.00)
Sony PMW-EX1 ($ 6,699.00)
The Sony HVR-Z7 ($ 6,850.00)

I do have a background in video productions and will be also producing other events and programming. So, weddings will not be the only thing I'm doing to off set the cost of cameras.

Thanks again,

Bryan

Andre Tira January 1st, 2008 09:18 PM

How about the HVR-HD1000U?

No XLRs or 24p but its shoulder mount and shoots in High Def.

Plus you can get 2 of these for the price of an A1.

I'm actually interested in one of these myself because i have an A1 and HV20 and need a third camera.

Has anyone bought this sony yet? If so, what are your opinions?

Taky Cheung January 2nd, 2008 12:03 AM

It will be a disadvantage to start a video business now still do SD video. Even if you intend to delivery DVD, you should also shoot with HD camcorders and advertise you use HD cams.