New Highlight - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 9th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Very nicely done. I was glad to hear you were using a Glidecam for some of those shots. I just couldn't see how you were managing the shots without one. You had me stumped!!
Hi Travis,

Thanks. Yes, I had three Glidecam shots. The couples exit from the church, the wrap around of the Bentley and the cake shot.
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stakes View Post
Hello Mark,

great work!

I am just getting into wedding videography, I think I see a Glidecam in my future : )
may I ask what model you use?
Hi John,

Thank you. I use the Glidecam 2000. The 2000 is okay with smaller SD camera like the Sony 2100/170, but if you shoot with a larger camera like a Sony FX1/Z1 or Canon XH-A1, you really need to step up to the Glidecam 4000.

I see that you live in Orlando. There is going to be a really good video conference there on Jan 21-24. We will be doing a 6 hour pre-conference session as well as speaking during the regular conference. You should check it out and if you can make it, look us up.

http://4evergroup.org/convention08/home.shtml

http://4evergroup.org/convention08/0...sessions.shtml
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Hi John,

Thank you. I use the Glidecam 2000. The 2000 is okay with smaller SD camera like the Sony 2100/170, but if you shoot with a larger camera like a Sony FX1/Z1 or Canon XH-A1, you really need to step up to the Glidecam 4000.
Ok I can see I will have to get one of those, I looked up a pic, but would love to see how they are used.

Maybe you can have someone video you using one.

I would love to get some formal training with video, and am sure I will when I did that with photography took me to a new level, am sure video is even more important.
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #34
Major Player

Just ordered the glidecam 4000
Mark you need a commission off this one, your work is inspiring enough to make me order it. I realize will take a lot more than this tool to do what you do, but a good place to start.
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #35
Regular Crew

wow. you win.
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
Ok I can see I will have to get one of those, I looked up a pic, but would love to see how they are used.

Maybe you can have someone video you using one.

I would love to get some formal training with video, and am sure I will when I did that with photography took me to a new level, am sure video is even more important.
Hi Denny,

I don't have any video online of me using a Glidecam. To get training on the Glidecam I highly recommend Dave Williams Smooth Moves I. His website is www.DVideography.com .

If you are looking for formal training that is not focused on Glidecam, we have four workshops scheduled for 2008. Checkout schedule on the videographers page of our website.
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
Just ordered the glidecam 4000
Mark you need a commission off this one, your work is inspiring enough to make me order it. I realize will take a lot more than this tool to do what you do, but a good place to start.

Just when I was going to tell you that the Glidecam is not a magic wand for cool shots I see that you bought one. As I said in my previous post, get Dave Williams Smooth Moves One and practice. If you are not particularly strong in your upper body, start lifting some weights to help build up your endurance.

Oh, and get a quick release plate that matches your tripod so you can get on and off the Glidecam quickly without having to rebalance it. Have fun!
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #38
Major Player

Thanks for sharing your work yet again Mark.

Love the pace ad the music used.

I've learned a lot watching different styles from different people all over the world (yours in the forefront).

happy New Year!
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #39
Trustee

Just cause I like giving my $.02,

Your use of audio adds a lot to the finished product. It must be really nice to have a great sermon to work with. Many times I find that preachers sound too stern, or emotionless, but the guy in that piece did a wonderful job of actually sounding like he enjoys marrying people.
For my money, the best wedding "sermon" I've ever heard was in one of Glen Elliott's from about 2 or 3 years ago. (I think **EDIT** HE (not we, what's wrong with my typing today?) won some kinda award for that piece if anyone knows the one I'm talking about) It was so good you'd almost thought someone wrote it for the guy. I wish they were all like that one and the one you just shared.

The only thing that bothered me was when you hear the bride's voice over, but see a slowmo shot of her delivering her vows and the audio and lips don't match. For some reason that bugs me.

-Ethan Cooper

Last edited by Ethan Cooper; January 11th, 2008 at 02:16 PM.
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
The only thing that bothered me was when you hear the bride's voice over, but see a slowmo shot of her delivering her vows and the audio and lips don't match. For some reason that bugs me.
I have to agree on that shot. It was the one moment in the video that felt a bit awkward.
Old January 11th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #41
Major Player

Mark, as always really great stuffs. It's really great to see all solid this solid work in all these different styles from those on this forum.

I've been a huge fan of your work for years now (since I started watching wedding videos), and still am.
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua View Post
Thanks for sharing your work yet again Mark.

Love the pace ad the music used.

I've learned a lot watching different styles from different people all over the world (yours in the forefront).

happy New Year!
Hi Jason,

Thanks. Isn't the internet wonderful. Back in the 90s we had to wait until conferences to see great work from others.
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Just cause I like giving my $.02,

Your use of audio adds a lot to the finished product. It must be really nice to have a great sermon to work with...I wish they were all like that one and the one you just shared.

Hi Ethan,

Thanks. They don't all sound like that, but we get our fair share of good ministers.

It used to bug me too, but I got over it. ;-) The thing I stay away from is showing the Bride say her vows in real time and then seeing her in more of a VO mode with slo mo vows. I go with one or the other, but not both in the highlight.
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I have to agree on that shot. It was the one moment in the video that felt a bit awkward.
Hi Travis,

Thanks for your input.

When I was going through her vows, I loved the shot of her that I used first. That shot was actually from the end of her vows. When I'm going through their vows, I'm looking for great emotional looks. I watch for the Brides reaction to the Grooms vows. This Bride almost looked in pain as the Groom said his vows. She was trying very hard not to cry and it just wasn't a good look for her, so I had to settle with the shot you saw.
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Y Wong View Post
Mark, as always really great stuffs. It's really great to see all solid this solid work in all these different styles from those on this forum.

I've been a huge fan of your work for years now (since I started watching wedding videos), and still am.
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your kind words. I agree. This forum is a great place to see really good work in many different styles.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques