New Highlight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Major Player

New Highlight

I haven't posted a clip here for quite a while, so I thought I would share a recent Highlight. We are still working through our SD weddings, so it was shot with a Sony DSR-250 and Sony's PD150 and PD170.

The song is from the movie August Rush.

http://tulsaweddingvideos.com/video/MJHighlight.wmv
Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Major Player

I thought the shot where you followed them out of the church with the people throwing petals was very cool.
What speed did you slow that down to?
Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow. All I can say.
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Mark,
Great use of the ministers homily to carry along the piece. You really cut that well, as well as the other audio sound bites. You also had some great shots in there and it seemed a few glide cam shots as well (specifically the limo spin around). Lots of great emotions from the parts of the entire wedding party and family and great piece. Thanks for Sharing

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Very nice Mark. I liked it all...good score...great VO. I like using the sun and lights so my favorite parts are the B&G walking out and the kiss in the spotlight.

Thanks,
John
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

OMG! this is just awesome work! I love those pan shots!

btw, I was being pointed out once.. it should be "highlights" not highlight.

Is it a multi camera job?
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I thought the shot where you followed them out of the church with the people throwing petals was very cool.
What speed did you slow that down to?
Hi Dennis,

I'm glad you liked that shot. It was at 50%. If I'm going to slow down a clip I start at 50%. I usually don't go below 30%. I sould say about 95% of my speed altered clips are at 50%. On my Shuttle Pro I have a shortcut for 50% so it makes it easy.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

That was wonderful.
Jenna Klingensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Kellar View Post
Wow. All I can say.
Hi Victor. Thanks for watching.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Hey Mark,
Great use of the ministers homily to carry along the piece. You really cut that well, as well as the other audio sound bites. You also had some great shots in there and it seemed a few glide cam shots as well (specifically the limo spin around). Lots of great emotions from the parts of the entire wedding party and family and great piece. Thanks for Sharing

Monday
Hi Monday,

Thanks for the kind words. We had more soundbites from the Groom and the MOB that we used in the Wedding Day Edit, but I didn't want to repeat them for the Highlight. It's always a challenge of finding the right balance for a couple the booked the Wedding Day Edit.

When the couple has a formal exit from the church and it is during the daytime, I like to use the Glidecam. Both of the scenarios just don't happen that often.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM   #11
Major Player

Mark how much of a challenge would you say it is? I struggle doing short forms and having to create a highlight. For me I'm drained of my creativity and excitement for the project when I finish the short form. I have nothing left for the Highlight so that suffers quite a bit. Then I tried doing the highlight first and that helped a lot. But you do a wedding day edit and also a highlight. That as you say must be very difficult to do. I remember Patrick was saying it was difficult to do as they can be very similar.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
Very nice Mark. I liked it all...good score...great VO. I like using the sun and lights so my favorite parts are the B&G walking out and the kiss in the spotlight.

Thanks,
John

Hi John,

Thanks for the kind words. I generally shoot the couple from the back as they leave the church or reception while Trisha shoots them from the front. In their Transition To Reception clip, you see the front shot as well. It's a great shot as well, but for the Highlight, I chose to use just the back shot. It looks more artistic.

I usually ask the B&G to kiss just before walking out. It just happened that the doors of the church were facing West and it was the perfect time of day. Sometimes you just get lucky.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
OMG! this is just awesome work! I love those pan shots!

btw, I was being pointed out once.. it should be "highlights" not highlight.

Is it a multi camera job?
Hi Taky. Thanks. We used three cameras for the Ceremony and First Dance.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:24 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna Klingensmith View Post
That was wonderful.

Hi Jenna. Thanks for watching.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:35 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Mark how much of a challenge would you say it is? I struggle doing short forms and having to create a highlight. For me I'm drained of my creativity and excitement for the project when I finish the short form. I have nothing left for the Highlight so that suffers quite a bit. Then I tried doing the highlight first and that helped a lot. But you do a wedding day edit and also a highlight. That as you say must be very difficult to do. I remember Patrick was saying it was difficult to do as they can be very similar.

Monday
Hi Monday,

How short are your short forms? Most of our DVDs are 45 to 60 minutes, so a Highlight works nicely. I know several who make a short form of 25-30 minutes and they do not include a Highlight.

A WDE is a Highlight, but a Highlight made in the fastlane. We make our WDEs to be as good as possible. On occasion we will reserve shots with the Highlight in mind, but generally we use our best shots in the WDE.

With this particular project, we got some great soundbites from the Groom and MOB, but I didn't want to re use them, even though the DVD starts with the Highlight and ends with the WDE. If the Highlight and WDE are too much alike, why would the B&G want to spend the money to have a Highlight produced?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques