I propose that we standardize some terms at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Trustee

I propose that we standardize some terms

... but I've seen one too many "trash the dress videos" just turn out to be bridal portrait sessions, or couple portrait sessions.
I propose that we standardize some terms. It can't be called "trash the dress" unless the brides gown is sullied, ripped, doused, or lit afire. Otherwise, it falls in the Bridal Portrait category.
I'm not ripping on anyone here because I put out what we labled a TTD video that wasn't trashy at all and it bothered me greatly. I've been having this same discussion with myself for a couple months now. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Ethan,
My wife and I have been discussing this exact same thing especially since we just finished the video. It really isn't trashing the dress and unfortunately that is giving a lot of brides the wrong idea as to what this type of shoot is....and thus, turning them away. Our current shoot in the snow did some good work on her dress and she would have never done that before the wedding, but it is something that can easily be cleaned because it was not trashed. We will be doing a shoot in the spring with a girl who is an artist painting in her dress. She will definitely be trashing the dress because you won't be able to get oils and paints out of a white dress.

I would love to hear ideas on what we as an industry should name these type of shoots. We threw out ideas along the lines of bridal fashion shoot. We want to shoot with the concept of this being a high fashion shoot. A very beautiful bride in a very contrasting location, so something along those lines might be where we are personally headed for future advertising.

Please share ideas!

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Major Player

I hate the term "trash the dress"

I think it was a west coast beach type of thing originally? Now everyone is jumpin' on the bandwagon?

In fact, I saw one behind the scene video where the photographer kept talking into the camera "This is my behind the scene video of a 'Trash the Dress' session." Arrghh.. nearly killed myself.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #4
New Boot

Ethan's comment about the dress being "lit afire" really cracked me up. Almost made a mess of my lunch that I'm eating. I hope no one actually tries this while wearing it!!

But, I tend to agree with Ethan's assessment.

BTW, I enjoyed Matt's video (different thread), but I wouldn't characterize it as a TTD video (inline with Ethan's opinion). Now if you could've mixed fire with snow....?

Thanks for the ideas!

Ray
Ray Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Major Player

After 12 years of marriage I wanted to do a 'trash the bride' video.

Oh well.
Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #6
Trustee

Denis,
As a guy who's been married 2.5 years I just gotta say thanks for painting a happy picture of long term marriages. I'm looking forward to the future even more.

-Ethan Cooper
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Trustee

Yang,
If you don't like the term "trash the dress" what do you propose? I say we leave it alone and just focus on other terminology for now.

Like the Music Video, Recap, Reprise, Highlight... which is it? I prefer the term "reprise" cause it just sounds snazzier. Whatever term we standardize on, I say it refer to only a song length piece that seeks to encompass the entire day's events from beginning to end. It can be edited sequentially or out of order, doesn't matter, but it must fit into the time of one song.

I really should be doing other things today than this.

-Ethan Cooper
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Trustee

and while were at it, can we standardize prices? Say, nobody turns on a camera for under $1,000. I'm sure this is price fixing or some other illegal practice, but it would be nice to cut out the low ballers. It would be for the benefit of all.

-Ethan Cooper
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #9
Major Player

I'd call it a "freestyle session".

Sort of like freestyle walking.
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Trustee

freestyle? what is this the X-games?

-Ethan Cooper
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #11
Major Player

It could if you want it to be.
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #12
Major Player

We know a photog that calls these types of sessions, "Safari Sessions"
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Oh well.
As a single woman, that was both funny and a lil scary to think about as far as the future is concerned.
Jessica Gourdine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Oh well.
I had to laugh at that. Sorry. After almost 39 years of marriage (to the same woman) I keep telling her I'd already be out of jail ;-O
Of course she tells me that she'd be wealthy beyond imagination so I guess it all evens out!

OO
\_/
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques