Closed Captioning? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Closed Captioning?

Does anyone know if there is a way to add closed captioning to a wedding video? I have a bride that I just met with that has hearing impared parents and I told her I'd look into it for her. I edit with Vegas 8.0. Any help would be appreciated. The wedding is not till 2009, but I wanted to start to try to get an answer for her. Thanks!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

DVDA3/4 has subtitle options, which you can type in as you go along. As most Wedding DVDs are usually set to music, there shouldn't be too much to type.

Another option is to create a separate audio stream within the DVD which has the audio within a set freq which the brides mother can hear. In doing this, you need to know the fundamentals of EQ, in addition to finding out which frequency range mum can pick up. Then by working the EQ according the the configuration of Mum's hearing aide, you can provide an audio mix which might sound weird to us, but is perfectly suitable for her. Just remember that her hearing has the potential to deteriorate even further, so the second option may not be worth your while.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #3
Trustee

Most likely what you're looking for is not "closed captioning", but rather "subtitles". Closed captioning (in NTSC) is to encode the text into the video stream, to later be decoded by the viewer's television. I guess if you're delivering on VHS, you might actually want closed captioning...

Anyway, subtitles is not a function of your editing application, but rather the DVD authoring program you use. If you're using DVD Architect, look up "Subtitles" in the DVD Architect help file. It's actually very easy. The viewer will be able to turn subtitles on and off with their DVD remote.

You can do actual closed captioning in Vegas (again, look in the help file) but I really think you'll find DVD subtitles a better option.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
Most likely what you're looking for is not "closed captioning", but rather "subtitles". Closed captioning (in NTSC) is to encode the text into the video stream, to later be decoded by the viewer's television. I guess if you're delivering on VHS, you might actually want closed captioning...

Anyway, subtitles is not a function of your editing application, but rather the DVD authoring program you use. If you're using DVD Architect, look up "Subtitles" in the DVD Architect help file. It's actually very easy. The viewer will be able to turn subtitles on and off with their DVD remote.

You can do actual closed captioning in Vegas (again, look in the help file) but I really think you'll find DVD subtitles a better option.
Thanks Chris for your help. I am going to look further into it, but I appreciate your direction here. It does sound like Architect is the way to go though. I am just happy I'll be able to provide this for them. Her parents are both hearing impared (completely deaf) as well as about 30 other family members. So this is very important to them.
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Major Player

The key part is getting it transcribed. I use www.ccmaker.com for closed captioning. I convert it to subtitles in house.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques