Elementary two camera wedding question.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 7th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Elementary two camera wedding question....

Here's a quote from an experienced wedding videographer. I don't understand what he is saying.
Would you help???

"I instruct the back camera operator to frame 4 different shots, WS, MS, CU and ECU and have them locked down with hands off the camera visible to me so I know that I can move camera if necessary and still be covered."

I DO understand the WS,MS, etc.,etc., but not the rest...

Thanks for helping a novice.
Regards, Tom B.
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ws, Ms ...

Wide Shot, Medium Shot but what are the other two? CU and ECU?

By locked down and hands off I think he means the camera focused on a particular shot and the pan/tilt screws are locked down so the camera can't move so your hands don't have to be on the camera. With this, the other camera person can glance your way and if he sees the camera is hands off, he is free to move for his next shot because your camera is getting a steady shot.
Ken Gilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gilford View Post
Wide Shot, Medium Shot but what are the other two? CU and ECU?.
Close Up and Extreme Close Up.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Ken and Matthew,

That does make sense and Ken, I do understand your explanation. However, I still can't understand what he means when he mentions framing all four different shots.
I understand the locked down part, but how can he lockdown four different frames at one time??? I'm sure he doesn't meant that, but I wonder just what does he mean??
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Tom,
I think he's just referring to the shots he wants that second camera operator to get. Meaning those are the the only 4 shots he wants to see coming from that camera. That makes sense and really are the only shots you can get anyway. I understand this because I work exactly the same way. I want that person to be off the camera when they have their shot because then I know I can move and will still have something to go to when editing. I personally want to see clean cuts with little movement ..minus the occasional follow or push in / pull out. If both of us are moving and resetting our shots at the same time, that can really screw up your editing and make for a messing product.
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt. I do understand. Yes, I've had that happen to me in the past. It does make sense.
Tom Blizzard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques