Anyone shoot both video and stills? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone shoot both video and stills?

We do many weddings as the photographer, we are adding video to the mix as I feel this is where weddings are headed. I have 2 XH A1's and a HV20 (Canon) and wonder if anyone else does the video and photography at weddings.

I do not do weddings alone, I have my wife and another assistant, just wondering how many people you use if you do both.

Denny
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I do. My wife will shoot video and I'll hire a shooter when I have to do stills. I've got a couple of Z1s and am considering the EX1 as my next cam. I like being a one stop shop but I can't really complain when the photographer gets in my way..
Greg Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Denny,
We do both, my wife is the photographer and I am the video man. We do about 70% combination, and offer a discount for booking both. It seems to be a great marketing tool. However, my wife is a photographer, not a camera operator, and there is a difference. She has been a professional photog for 12 years, and that makes a huge difference when faced with a big challenge like 42 people in the wedding party, or a quaint candlight ceremony where you can't use flash. The business model really works, but only if you can focus on doing your thing, and leave the photography to one person who focusses only on that.
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Major Player

I agree with what bill said. There are so many companies that offer both because they think they are so much alike and they can do both. Then they just move around in doing photo or video and aren't GREAT at either. I just do video myself and have a huge respect for good photography...but it really is different. It requires the same good eye and talent, but technically, they work differently.

We are in the process of adding on photography to our business, but this IS a process. My wife has helped me with video for the last 2 years and has done a great job, but has more background in photography. We are getting the equipment, more training and hands on, schooling, etc so that when we decide to actually offer this, we're very well established. We are making a very good mark in the industry with our video so far and hope to do the same with photo as long as we put the same amount of hard work into it.

Sorry to get a bit off topic from your original question. She will be in charge of photo and I will be in charge of video and that's that. We will each have 1 assistant,always! This is how I plan to structure it and that should then give us some good results. Like bill said, this will only be really successful if you can focus on one aspect instead of all.

Now I'm not saying that you won't do a good job, I'm just referring to situations with a few businesses in my area that are offering both. Just be careful when doing both that you are still providing a solid product and not skimping on either because the workload has increased.

Good luck !!!
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the input, and I know what you mean about there being a difference. I agree there is, but like many things I feel there are lots of similar things too. Lighting and Posing is exactly that, we can pose one, or we have posed 250 and everywhere inbetween. I love the audio/video mix, we have been showing our photography work via projection to music for years, before is was comon, the emotion makes them spend money. Adding video I feel is just another tool. The small amount I have played with it, it has went over well but I do explain I am a photographer who is learning to do some video.

I know I have to keep the photography part solid, and get every shot I normally do but hope to fill the area that is being done by "Uncle Joe" right now and help us book more weddings.

Denny

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques