DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   strange request (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/111919-strange-request.html)

Ethan Cooper January 8th, 2008 02:26 PM

strange request

I was looking into a local bridal show and they are requiring that we carry some type of liability insurance to be eligible to participate in the show. I've done many different shows throughout the state and have never seen this request before.
We don't currently carry any such insurance and have no plans to do otherwise so I haven't looked into it at all. How much should someone expect to pay for some type of basic liability insurance for a year? What companies do you guys use or recommend, or is it just a waste of money? I'm just trying to figure out what in the world I can be held liable for in a typical wedding scenario, dropping a camera on someone's foot maybe? I don't want to get this insurance just to please the people putting on the expo, so someone convince me that it's a benefit to my company and that I have a greater than .0001% chance of needing it in the course of my usual operations.

Allen Plowman January 8th, 2008 02:40 PM

I think there is a big insurance thread somewhere...
I am new to event videography, I am finding 300-600 dollars a year for basic policies. insurance on your equipment might not be needed, but one incident can cause you to lose everything you do and will ever own. all it takes is a pregnant woman to trip over a tripod leg, and your done for life without insurance. I am still looking for the best deal, and I am finding several places I want to film (in California) require a million dollars in liability. I have never caused a wreck in my car, however, I still have insurance on it for that .0001% chance I do hit someone...

Steven Davis January 8th, 2008 02:41 PM

Yeah, that's kind of odd coming from a show, considering the event itself I'm sure has to have some type of insurance to use the venue.

I'd be asking if the show hosts have insurance, and if so, then why would you. I've never had that request of the three shows we do/have done.

Matt Bishop January 8th, 2008 02:58 PM

I have had full insurance from day one. This covers all of my equipment at home or out "in the field" and also comes with liability. If you really think about it, there is a lot that could happen at a wedding and running around with all of that equipment constantly. Someone breaks into your car, with insurance, you're fully covered. someones kid trips on your tripod and unfortunately, they will come after you. I'm more than happy to pay the price each year for insurance knowing that virtually nothing can happen to me now. If it's broken, it's replaced. If someone does trip and it really is your fault, you then have a lot of coverage for medical expenses.

I have personally seen an old lady hit the floor after tripping on a dj's cord..that was even taped down on the floor. I don't know what happened with that but I sure wouldn't want to be in his position and not be insured.
I pay just under $600 a year for FULL coverage.

As far as the show..that is a bit odd, but I wouldn't get it for the show, I would get it for your own piece of mind!

Tom McDougal January 8th, 2008 03:03 PM

I believe the show it self wants to protect it self just like if you have insurance, you are protecting yourself..Maybe a vendor could overload a circuit or something happens in a particluar booth, the host venue would in turn get the direct booth vendor involved in whatever happens...thus taking responseabilty away from the host even though it happen in there location.

In the wedding industry in NY, all middle to high end reception halls want all non-guest (ie wedding professionals) that will be doing there work in the facilty to be covered with there own polciy.

Greg Patch January 8th, 2008 03:25 PM

I've got a policy with Travellers and it covers my gear for a specific amount and I think I have $4,000,000 in liability. Cost me $540.00 a year..

John Moon January 8th, 2008 03:50 PM

This is not an odd request and is typically found in many contracts with public events such as this. They want you to carry liability insurance in the event you cause a fire, someone gets hurt, etc. If your were the cause of the damage or injury they want to spread the risk to you as well. Because they are organizing and hosting the event, they will have some exposure as well. If for example someone tripped over your tripod leg, fell and broke something, your insurance would be primary for liability and the venue would be excess.

Richard Wakefield January 8th, 2008 04:06 PM

up until recently i thought insurance was a complete waste of time.

then i was at a wedding where 10 cars got broken into at night when everyone was inside!!! luckily my car wasn't one of them but i did have a bit of equipment in there, and insurance covers theft from car boots!

phew!

Andre Tira January 8th, 2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Patch (Post 804971)
I've got a policy with Travellers and it covers my gear for a specific amount and I think I have $4,000,000 in liability. Cost me $540.00 a year..

Greg, what coverage are you under?

Don Bloom January 8th, 2008 05:24 PM

I don't think it's too strange to ask for the insurance. If someone 'falls over your display' and gets hurt then you're the one who gets sued so with insurance your covered. However unlikely that might happen, but the larger question is why would anyone be in business fulltime or parttime and not carry insurance to cover both equipment and liability?
I'm sorry guy's and gals but it doesn't make sense. If your gear gets stolen out of your car your car insureer might not cover it because you're working with it in a professional capacity with it, if it gets stolen from a job it won't be covered period and please don't tell me about the client being responsible, they aren't UNLESS they sign off and in 25 yearsI've never met a wedding client that would sign off on that.
Then of course if someone gets hurt at the wedding reception because they 'tripped" over your bag (which was hidden behind the DJs table) you're going to get sued or at the least maybe have to provide payment for medical bills and last but not least more and more places in my area at least wont a copy of your liability poilicy to keep on file or you can't work there. PERIOD!
Last year a guy I know called me at the last minute to cover a gig for him because he didn't have insurance and couldn't work the venue.
Insurance is relatively cheap, the cost to replace the gear or just about any part of it is probably more than the insurance.
sorry for sounding off on this but if you're going to be a professional then you need certain tools of the trade and insurance is one of them.
Just my $.03 worth (adjusted for the cost of living)
Don

Chris Davis January 8th, 2008 07:01 PM

I pay $503 per year through The Hartford. Contact your local independent agent first. I ended up going through TechInsurance.com because my normal agent was not able to offer competitive rates for general liability.

Greg Patch January 9th, 2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre Tira (Post 805022)
Greg, what coverage are you under?

It's a policy with Travellers insurance. As of now my gear coverage is $15,000, that amount is soon to increase as I add additional pieces of gear. I got this deal brokered through USAA who insures my home and auto.