24f for weddings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 10th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #1
Major Player

24f for weddings?

Is this the standard for wedding videography The only one I did I used 60i but seems that I read where 24f gave a much better feel.
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

There is no "standard" anything... not in wedding services or video production. There is no regulatory body and there is no standard of quality that anyone must adhere to.

Anyone can do pretty much anything they like.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Major Player

It's completely up to you and what kind of look you're going for, there is no "standard". It's a creative decision.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that 24F/24P weddings are a VAST minority.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
It's completely up to you and what kind of look you're going for, there is no "standard". It's a creative decision.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that 24F/24P weddings are a VAST minority.
Thanks for the reply, I personally dont flip over the 24f, but its one of those things that if everyone else likes it, its what you need to do. I have learned not to fall in love with my work, rather love my work that everyone buys.
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Well, it certainly does seem to impress a lot of people, probably because you don't see it on Uncle Bob's handicam footage.

Me, I love 24p, and I use it on everything I film. Even family home videos look great.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #6
Major Player

I personally like the look of 24p ... but I also anything that is properly lighted, well composed, with sensible and sure camera movement etc

As a freelance editor in a large market I do in excess of 60 wedds a year ... maybe I am seeing one or two 24p jobs. I know they are out there, maybe the cameramen save them for themselves

If you want to shoot 24p it has its advantages but I don't know if it gives you a competetive edge ... what are other studios in your market doing? In the long run, put out a good quality product at a fair price, that is what people are looking for
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #7
Major Player

The faux-24p the FX1 has (cineframe) is good enough for me. We tape everything with this mode on as well as tweaks on the picture profiles.

I do get Panny-envy everytime I see gorgeous footage from the HVX.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I use 24F on the Canon GL2 for all of my weddings. I've always done it that way and I like the look it gives. You do tend to get some blur if you pan the camera quickly across a detailed background (like people).
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #9
Major Player

Does anyone use 30f?

Maybe those who shot 60i and 30f are just not posting.
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:25 AM   #10
New Boot

I shoot all of my weddings in 30p. More "cinematic" than 60i but better in low light than 24p - and allows faster pans.
Jared Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I use 24F on the Canon GL2 for all of my weddings. I've always done it that way and I like the look it gives. You do tend to get some blur if you pan the camera quickly across a detailed background (like people).
I'm sorry to burst your bubble Travis, but there is no 24F on the GL2. There is a 30F type mode, which Canon calls "Frame Movie Mode" but it is a 30 fps framerate, not 24. It does give more of a progressive look to your footage, and I'll agree that it looks better than 60i, but I just wanted to give you the correct specs. Maybe you just mistyped it.

I shoot in either 30P or 24P, depending on the shots. If I am doing a LOT of motion that I know I'll be slowing down I'll shoot in 30P so I have more frames to work with. I still get that progressive look that sets it apart from interlaced footage, but I have more frames to work with. I shoot with a DVX100A and I've loved it. I want to move up to an HVX when the time comes for that. Right now the Utah market is not even requesting HD, so there's no need to move to it yet.

Personally, I think it's your choice. I have seen INCREDIBLE footage that was shot in 60i. I'd say the majority of videographers do shoot in 60i. It's more about getting quality footage than how it is captured. There certainly is a difference in the look and feel between the different types of media, but ultimately it's about getting a good shot.
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #12
Major Player

Hopfully this is not a stupid question but with me not being experienced in noticing much difference in 24f vs 30f video I am not sure.

Can you shoot say the wedding in 24f and the reception in 30f as long as the edit is at a break in the action.

Do you ever shoot different frame rates with each camera, or would this be a nightmare and noticeable when editing?
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oveson View Post
I'm sorry to burst your bubble Travis, but there is no 24F on the GL2. There is a 30F type mode, which Canon calls "Frame Movie Mode" but it is a 30 fps framerate, not 24. It does give more of a progressive look to your footage, and I'll agree that it looks better than 60i, but I just wanted to give you the correct specs. Maybe you just mistyped it.
I did mistype, lol. Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques