DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   First wedding video highlight: (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/112174-first-wedding-video-highlight.html)

Dennis Murphy January 11th, 2008 06:53 PM

First wedding video highlight:

Shot with a Canon XHA1.
I wanted to try a wedding and did this one for the experience.
Doing it this was a fantastic learning experience.

I just have a YouTube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noSrLPnMdGI

Chris Harris January 11th, 2008 07:17 PM

You know, it's amazing, I could tell after the first 3 seconds that it was going to be a quality piece.

It was good, the slow motion and rack focuses were done tastefully, as well as the flash transitions. I especially liked the part with the car. Fantastic job.

Kiflom Bahta January 11th, 2008 07:51 PM

great camera work but the flash trans was a bit two much. how do you like the colors of the A1 did you use stock or a preset?

John Stakes January 11th, 2008 08:42 PM

Good for a first attempt. I agree with the others about the flash transitions, maybe if they were not so bright, or just a little slower/ more subtle. It is a little different then the normal wedding vids, but that is something that you can be known for, so bravo on that!

What frame rate did you use? did you do the slow-motion in post or while recording?

thanks for sharing!

Dennis Murphy January 11th, 2008 10:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback - it's much appreciated!
Yeah, the flash transitions are a bit gratuous... seemed like a good idea at the time :)

I shot it in 50i as I intended to do some slow-mo with the footage in post (Vegas 7).
I used the stock preset as I'm not confident enough to use customs in a situation that is not purely experimental just yet.

I'm in the far north of New Zealand that doesn't seem to have a lot of videography going on that I'm aware of, so I'm not exposed to what others are doing with this type of event work. That's where this forum has been invaluable in terms of ideas and possibilities with wedding videography.
Hehe, I couldn't bring myself to do a dutch angle or a black & white sequence though.

Darren Smith January 12th, 2008 12:57 AM

Dennis

Great first effort, looked classy from the outset, really liked the camera work.

I'm impressed with video quality for youtube, what settings did you use when encoding?

Cheers
Darren

Randy Stewart January 12th, 2008 08:32 AM

I continue to be amazed by the artistry of the videographers in this forum. Really great job on your highlights video. A superb example of why content in the creative hands of a skilled pro is mezmerizing. Thanks for sharing.
Randy

Dennis Murphy January 12th, 2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Smith (Post 807094)
I'm impressed with video quality for youtube, what settings did you use when encoding?

From Vegas 7, I rendered it using the Sony AVC/AAC mp4 setting with a 768,000 bit rate - output size 320 x 240.
The file size for this wedding clip came out at 33.1mb. I should've bumped the bitrate up further and tried to max out to the 100mb I suppose?

Cheers.

Dennis Murphy January 12th, 2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Stewart (Post 807140)
I continue to be amazed by the artistry of the videographers in this forum. Really great job on your highlights video. A superb example of why content in the creative hands of a skilled pro is mezmerizing. Thanks for sharing.
Randy

Cheers for the feedback Randy.

Tom Alexander January 12th, 2008 01:04 PM

Wow. I would have loved to have had that highlight video of my wedding. I didn't find the flash transitions to be too overwhelming, but toning them down might improve it even more. As the others said, great job.

Jimmy Moss January 12th, 2008 02:58 PM

I thought the colors in the video were very nice. Really had a film quality to it. What program did you use to get that kind of color correction? I assume it was not the camera present because I have a XH-A1 myself and it sure dosent look that good.

Jason Magbanua January 13th, 2008 10:46 AM

For a first time was a great clip Dennis.

Some sequences were a bit long for me. Too little was happening in the frame.

That said, I love the cutting of the Bride going out of the house and going into the car. Great composition there.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Ethan Cooper January 13th, 2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua (Post 807639)
I love the cutting of the Bride going out of the house and going into the car. Great composition there.

Agreed. Loved that part too.
The flashed became a crutch you didn't need to lean on so much.
Way better than my first attempts.

Dennis Murphy January 13th, 2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Moss (Post 807333)
I thought the colors in the video were very nice. Really had a film quality to it. What program did you use to get that kind of color correction? I assume it was not the camera present because I have a XH-A1 myself and it sure dosent look that good.

I just used Sony Vegas 7 color corrector and secondry color correction in places.

I appreciate the comments... thanks!