More home video - political at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 16th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #1
Major Player

More home video - political

shot with a gl1 using onboard mic. I edited a 15 minute intro down to 5 minutes and then decided it was way too slow so I cut it in half - taking out the middle of sentences, running the tail of sentences over each other, jump cuts/shaky cam up the yazoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfrwqS3xaE8

Does it work?

Jared Polis is quite well known in Colorado as one of the first internet millionaires and is now set to become the first openly gay congressman from Colorado.
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Well, it does give you an idea of his stand on a variety of issues. Not much depth on any particular issue, but it gives a sampling of his thoughts. It doesn't really grab me, but I don't know that it's really meant to. The vignetting was a bit distracting.
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment Mike.

You are right the purpose of the video was not to "grab" you in the "vote for me" sense.

Point taken with regard to the vignetting - especially when the action moves to the edge of the screen. Caused mainly by my lack of QA - although it is much more subtle on the Brightcove version - the youtube encode is horrible.
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Major Player

You're welcome. That's good to hear that the actual video doesn't have as bad of a vignette. Youtube doesn't ever improve our quality of work, does it? ;)
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Major Player

there is no vignetting on the original. I added the vignette in post to give it more of a home video look....

crazy?
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Not crazy, just an interesting choice.
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ralph View Post
shot with a gl1 using onboard mic. I edited a 15 minute intro down to 5 minutes and then decided it was way too slow so I cut it in half - taking out the middle of sentences, running the tail of sentences over each other, jump cuts/shaky cam up the yazoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfrwqS3xaE8

Does it work?

Jared Polis is quite well known in Colorado as one of the first internet millionaires and is now set to become the first openly gay congressman from Colorado.
I think your draconian cutting has done Mr. Polis more damage than benefit. The piece looks heavily edited. So heavily edited it appears to me more effort has been put into hiding information than promoting information. I'm very liberal minded regarding politics, but I am also very sick of pandering politicians. I want to see real people. I want to hear complete sentences. I'm a Colorado native. Lived in Colorado most of my life. I've never heard of Jared Polis. In my opinion, you've done little to impress me positively.
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Sorry to say I found it very dry and hard to watch. The extra editing has given it a very choppy feel. It would have been nice to have covered up those cuts with cutaways to the audience perhaps. There surely must be a better way to provide highly abbreviated snippets of his positions without making it seem so jumpy.
Michael Pulcinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Waldemar & Michael for your thoughtful comments, much appreciated!

I guess I was wrong in assuming the clip would not work as a vote-grabber. My opinion has been over-ruled by the honchos who make these decisions for a living. This clip and 3 others I produced are being incorporated into the Polis campaign.
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques