DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Weva 2008? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/112623-weva-2008-a.html)

Mark Morikawa January 17th, 2008 07:57 PM

Weva 2008?

Is there 2 conventions a year? Winter and Summer convention? or is there only one...

Mark Morikawa January 18th, 2008 02:40 AM

anyone?

cuz i noticed there was one on Jan 29- Feb 2, but I cant tell if thats THE convention or just a "winter" convention with a bigger one coming in the summer. it sounds like the one this month is THE convention. which would suck cuz I didn't know it was this month and now its too short notice.

Terry Taravella January 18th, 2008 08:25 PM

Hi Mark,

Jan29-Feb2 is the winter convention. WEVA is usually in August. In Vegas also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Morikawa (Post 810260)
anyone?

cuz i noticed there was one on Jan 29- Feb 2, but I cant tell if thats THE convention or just a "winter" convention with a bigger one coming in the summer. it sounds like the one this month is THE convention. which would suck cuz I didn't know it was this month and now its too short notice.

Brian Peterson January 19th, 2008 06:18 PM

The main Expo will be sometime around August. Dates won't be announced till after the Expo in a week.

WEVA has teamed up with a photography association PMA to offer the winter Expo. It's cheaper, but the Vendor room is more geared towards the PMA offerings than WEVA. I"m not sure any of the major manufacturers are going to be there for us. The seminar list looks strong though. Otherwise, look for the August Expo.

Peter Ralph January 21st, 2008 12:24 PM

smart move by WEVA to align with photo expo. The cross pollination will benefit everyone.

Brian Peterson January 22nd, 2008 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Ralph (Post 811785)
smart move by WEVA to align with photo expo. The cross pollination will benefit everyone.

I agree, the photogs have had their acts together for far longer than us. In fact I just got done watching "What Makes Me Click" by Jerry Ghionis from Australia. It's a seminar about how he works and runs his business. A lot of good business advice that we can apply to video and the photo shoot part gave me several good ideas that can be worked into video...

Whoops just dragged this thread off target.

Just google his name and you'll find his site.

Mark Morikawa January 22nd, 2008 01:03 AM

thank you!

Peter Ralph January 23rd, 2008 09:44 AM

Brian - I don't think the learning is all one way. But in general photographers have a much better handle on why most brides prefer photo over video.

Chris Hurd January 23rd, 2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Ralph (Post 812846)
photographers have a much better handle on why most brides prefer photo over video.

It's not a question of brides preferring "photo over video." Wedding photography and wedding videography are complimentary, not competitive.

A photograph is immediate and perpetual -- it needs no special method to be displayed and it is always there to see. On the other hand, video is an event, with a beginning, a middle and an end. It's not always on display -- it doesn't hang on a wall all the time (at least, not yet it doesn't). That's why a photograph has more initial appeal, because it's always there to be seen.

Photography and videography are two different things, they do not compete against each other for the bride's dollars. It's not the job of the wedding videographer to compete against photography but rather to augment it and compliment it. The wedding videographer needs to sell the bride on the idea of doing a video in addition to photography, not instead of it.

Sorry for going off topic but I couldn't let that go.

Peter Ralph January 23rd, 2008 10:55 AM

let me rephrase that -

replace "most brides prefer photo over video".

with "most brides hire a photographer and not a videographer"

Yang Wen January 28th, 2008 09:40 AM

Generally speaking - from a customer's point of view, a wedding photographer's products are valued higher than a videographer's.