DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Suggestions for backing up video files and projects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/112638-suggestions-backing-up-video-files-projects.html)

Matt Duke January 18th, 2008 03:13 AM

Suggestions for backing up video files and projects

Hi Everyone,

I know it has been discussed a bit with regards to the EX1, but I'm trying to work out the best solution for dealing with large video files and projects for weddings etc. I've used single external harddrives in the past and over the last 3 weeks have had 2 units die on me, frying the harddrive in the process!! This has caused much grief as I've had to recapture everything again and begin the project twice!

I seriously don't want this to happen with the EX1 when I purchase it soon and want to make sure I'm setup for the best possible backup situation.

Basically my thoughts are some type of raid 1 external firewire 800 unit that I can use to copy each SxS card onto while at the wedding (I will need this anyway for SDEs etc). But when I get back home, I want to backup this to some type of storage unit such as a Network Attached Storage device or some type of file server.

I would then look at having the NAS or file server on a raid system, and I'm tempted to go one step further and get a tape backup system to make a backup of all raw files that night. Resulting in having 1 copy on a Raid 1 external drive, 1 copy on a raided file server or NAS and then 1 copy on long term storage backup tape. While it may cost a fair bit to get setup, the time that I have had to spend recapturing tapes and editing is almost worth any expense!

What are you guys using? Especially those that are doing 2 or 3 weddings a weekend. How do you store your video files and back them up?

Further more, I will be filming a doco in June for a month, in Africa and will need to be able to store at least 2TB of footage from filming most days. I will then also need to make a second copy of this for peace of mind. Either DLT or blu-ray if its reasonably priced by then for dual layer discs.

Comments and suggestions are extremely welcome.

Thanks,
Matt

Alan Van Vliet January 18th, 2008 05:02 AM

Matt,

I am looking at a somewhat similar situation.

I am currently putting in a storage server in a Raid configuration with 4 - 750 gb SATA drives but need to have off site backup as well. I have previously been manually backing up to 500 gb drives, but having some data coruption problems, etc.

I though about installing a second device off property but don't really have a location to use.

Does anyone know of a good online backup source which can be tied in to write simultneously, i.e. for someone working at home and out of an office?

I wouldn't have a clue as to what to do while in Africa?

Regards, AL

Samuel Hinterlang January 18th, 2008 03:20 PM

I personally charge clients $150 dollars for archival and buy 2 hard drives and dump all the footage and work-flow stuff on those.

I keep one at here and one off-site.

I know hard drives break, but if they both broke then I guess it was meant to be. The client will just have to understand, or if it's really important, pay for data recovery.

Ronny Hofsoy January 18th, 2008 03:50 PM

Larry Jordan speaking in one of his courses at lynda.com said that a good practice would be to store the media (tapes, XDCam disks and so on). This way you could just delete the captured media from HD's while archiving all other project files and graphics when project is finished. Then just put all captured original tapes in the the same shelf.

He recommend this instead of harddrive storage due to the fact that disks have limited lifetime, even when stored disconnected from any system.

It is an unacceptable cost to store EX1 photage on SxS cards, since they are priced pretty high at the moment.

I guess the best option for our small production company is DL bluray, but that's just my 5 cents.

Matt Duke January 20th, 2008 05:56 PM

Has anyone else got any suggestions or comments on how they manage backups of their footage from their EX1?
Cheers.