Open DVD wedding... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 19th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Open DVD wedding...

Hi All

I have seen many videos, on this comunity. but I never saw how you guys start a dvd wedding. So, the time has arrived for me to post my first open wedding video for critique, and am hoping I'm on the right track. Still lots to learn with regards to handling color correction, shot selection, shot angle etc etc, I have basically taken all of my inspiration for my other highlights from this forum and the wealth of knowledge and creativity that exists within it, now I ask for your feedback. It was shot with PD170 edited on Adobe PPro CS3 and after efects 7.0. I look forward to your responses (good or bad,)

http://videoartes.com.br/?p=16

http://videoartes.com.br/?p=11

Cheers

Joel
Old January 19th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I charge extra for opening and closing sequences. This is simply because they take a substantial amount of time to collate and edit. I'm also the kind of editor who likes to create drama, anxiety, tension and work on the build up before we see anything substantial. In turn, I don't like creating intros because it ruins the build up to golden shot of the bride in her dress (as one example).

Ive seen wedding presentations with the opening shot being the bride and groom going for their first kiss... nice shot etc, but heres the thing.. the kiss is the conclusion... so wheres the "want" to see the build up and the "how we got here." Where is the build up to this moment, if you show that moment
You take that all away.

Shot selection is paramount to making this work.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

(Only watched first one)Wow, really like it. Enjoyed how much the couple looked like they were having fun. Effects were nice and clean too.

The way the last couple of clips flew directly at you, ever thought of doing that for all, or more, of them? That's a personal taste thing of course.

Keep up the good work.
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #4
New Boot

The first one was great, but.......the second one was unbelievable! Very creative and fun to watch. Thanks for sharing!
Darrin Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Those are REALLY GOOD. I cannot imagine the time it took to edit/construct them ..or.. I am using the wrong programs.
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger View Post
Those are REALLY GOOD. I cannot imagine the time it took to edit/construct them ..or.. I am using the wrong programs.
I agree with Terry. That second one is just fantastic.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #7
Major Player

the second clip was made from a templete am i correct i have seen it on another wedding video website i think they are called moonlight or something but nice work
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
the second clip was made from a templete am i correct i have seen it on another wedding video website i think they are called moonlight or something but nice work
Whoever it was, it is certainly "Blue Sky" thinking as far as I am concerned. I liked the first, it was neatly done but the 2nd broke the mould. Pity that kind of thing wasn't possible when I got married (only basic Super8 2 camera stuff) - I could have used the animation quite creatively on my mother-in-law :-)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #9
Major Player

spot the Josh Fozzard AE template DVD fan :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #10
Major Player

Parabens Joel! gostei muito! seu website tambem.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post

Thanks for the feedback - it's much appreciated!
Yeah, this video clip http://videoartes.com.br/?p=11 it's not a template, what I did, was watching a couple of time the "Josh Fozzard"
videoclip in his website. Believe, it took me a whole week to get finished. he doesn't have it as a template do sell, even for him.

and this one http://videoartes.com.br/?p=16 was much Easier. I did all by mylself.

How do you guys start a wedding dvd. all this time I have seen just highlights clip.s I'd like to see some open weedig with credits. or you don't use that?

Aaron Winters
Darrin Ward
Terry Esslinger
Alastair Brown
Robert Bec
Colin McDonald
Dan Burnap

Thanks for the kind words.I'm so glad to be here and share my videos with you guys. be free to come to brazil and make me a vistit. will be fun. hehee,

cheers

Joel
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #12
Major Player

thats some nice work right there!
I try to avoid including names of every member of the bridal party etc. as it takes up so much time. or does it? im wondering now am i being lazy.
I tend to adopt an attitude of "whatever I can get away with" on weddings in the middle of the season but watching those samples makes me want to prepare something new.
Joel, would you mind emailing me your .aep file for that project? :)

Last edited by Ger Griffin; January 20th, 2008 at 04:57 PM.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Joel
They are both totally awesome.
The first was almost better in a way for its simplicity.
The second one was so good, I be afraid of it outshining the main event so to speak, as actual weddings seem to be a bit slow.
It does have the advantage of getting people to wake up a bit though.

Either way, great work as a stand alone piece.
Samuel Hinterlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Yes, the second one was absolutely fantastic !

But I'm afraid that with the average wedding fee you can only afford to include that using a template and always the exact same music. Even then probably still quite some work.

But again, very very well done !
Winfried Dobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Music copyright?

Hi,

I had a bit of a dig around in your website site and yes, as all above have said, truely amazing videos! Very creative and I commend you on excellent work.

One point though. Do you have copyright permission to use the music featured on some of these videos?

Don't get me wrong, I have been to Brasil many, many times (mostly down to Porto Alegre) and I know how it is... but in some parts of the World (like here in England) you would risk being sued if you did NOT have permission for use of that music on anything you sold (home videos are fine, I do that all the time.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques