OT - Football Highlight Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 26th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

OT - Football Highlight Video

A local family hired me to edit a highlight video for them -
The kid has some sick skills -
The footage was all DVD rips so some of the quality was so so, but the edit is sweet :)
www.dmbvp.com/video/dobko.wmv

enjoy -
Old January 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Trustee

Holy Cow, that kid can run! Nice job, but I can't say I noticed your editing much (which is a plus for an edit like this), I was too busy being amazed at him. Can you say NFL? Should I assume that's the purpose of the video?
Old January 26th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Very nice editing!

The only problem I had was the music choice. The music might impress the kids, but hearing profanity and less than flattering terms of endearment aren't going to win the hearts of college recruiters.

Other than that, fantastic job.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
Very nice editing!

The only problem I had was the music choice. The music might impress the kids, but hearing profanity and less than flattering terms of endearment aren't going to win the hearts of college recruiters.

Other than that, fantastic job.

I agree, very nice editing but the music could be a turn off and would be offensive to some people. Some recruiters may not care, seeing the kids talent. But this is the kids chance to impress people and you want to present the best image possible.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle

OK, I guess this makes me "old", but I'll agree that the choice of music and some of the "lingo" in it does a disservice to this kids talent...

I'd suggest a custom music track that keeps the energy, but lose the whole "gangsta" vibe? I think that team owners and coaches will be more impressed by clean cut talent in light of many of the recent events? I suspect that sports as a "business" would prefer guys that won't end up on the 11 o'clock news because of their association with a subculture, but maybe that's just me.

If this is what the "talent" and his family wanted, it's cool, but it did leave a less favorable impression, and I may be old, but apparently I'm not alone... may be worth a look at who the "audience" will be - sure maybe the kids will like it as is, but will someone who's going to fork over for a multi-million dollar contract?

FWIW, I spent plenty of time in the 80's-90's rock scene, so I like to think I'm not easily offended, but then again, I am "older" now! Maybe it's a youth thing... sigh.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #6
Trustee

Actually, David, I would agree with the others about the music. If it's a promotional video for recruiters, I can't imagine music like that adding to the boy's appeal. Something hard hitting fits, though, without the excessive profanity.
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #7
Inner Circle

What is the point of music that 'could' offend? If the one person watching who might be the critical one - maybe the one who's opinion counts, is offended by the lyrics (or the music) - is it worth the risk?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yeap - I agree about the music...it may offend some people but it is what the client wanted and provided. I personally think society has gone downhill with language myself and the whole gangster attitude it dumb. I use to live on the streets and seen some rough times, had my share of violence and trouble and I think it's funny when you get upper class people acting like 50 cent.

Today, I get embarrassed going to Hockey games because there always seems to be someone within ears reach who uses the F word like some people use the word "ummm". It seems no one cares anymore about words and even though, I believe its just words and its how it's used that matters, I still have enough respect to not use offensive language in certain situations, but it seems a lot of people don't.

I am sure, my client doesn't view the music he picked as offensive and I also assume, most coaches will kill the volume and just watch it.

Otherwise, thanks for the comments - and in spite of personal tastes or feelings - I believe I made the music work well. I especially like the gun shot timed to the one big hit - and a few key places where the lyrics match the actions.
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #9
Inner Circle

>>I think it's funny when you get upper class people acting like 50 cent

AMEN

>>most coaches will kill the volume and just watch it

Hopefully... but if the kid misses the deal of a lifetime over it, it'd be a shame. First impressions count.

>>I believe I made the music work well. I especially like the gun shot timed to the one big hit - and a few key places where the lyrics match the actions.

OH YEAH, in fact the first section was GREAT, but for the "N word" (a particularly touchy point here in the states), profanity, and "gansta" 'tude - the song FIT, but you needed the PG rated version <wink>. The song and the edit WORKED, no doubt about it, just ignore the bad parts of the lyrics...

One can have plenty of skills, and an "attitude" without being offensive - if you're "good" you don't need to act like a street thug to get "respect". The edit worked, the kid rocks, and if I see him in the big time, I'll know part of how he got there! It'd be a shame if he missed out over a "poor choice" of sound track... but we all make choices. If you pointed out the issues, and the tracks were their choice... not much you can do, but make an awesome edit, and that you did!!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #10
Regular Crew

David,

I liked the video. I can go with the comments on the music/lyrics.

One thought/suggestion:

These can turn into "here's X running up. Here's X catching the ball. Here's X ..." Would it be worth adding a few captions/bottom-thirds/??? to give an indication of, say, when, where and against whom the games were played? Just might give a little more context to the hightlights and maybe keeps the observer from zoning out. Not too much, and nothing obtrusive, but enough to be informative if they want it.

Just a thought. Good job.

Ciao,

marks
Mark Stavar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques