How do you guys handle a live video feed request? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 1st, 2008, 12:08 PM   #16
Major Player

Hi Jason,

Yup that would be a roving camera, normally he gets the brunt of the shoot as he/she has to hand carry and be very mobile. The mini-dv decks would be stand alone recorders, 2nd deck would start recording when there's a minute left (tape wise) in deck 1. For back-ups each Camera can do an Independent record as well.

I have no experience recording straight to PC at all.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:38 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Hi Jason,

Yup that would be a roving camera, normally he gets the brunt of the shoot as he/she has to hand carry and be very mobile. The mini-dv decks would be stand alone recorders, 2nd deck would start recording when there's a minute left (tape wise) in deck 1. For back-ups each Camera can do an Independent record as well.

I tried it a few weeks ago. Worked pretty well, though was major hassle to tear down the office, setup on location, tear down at location, and re-setup back in the office.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Jason,

I also assume you have some device that transmits the eng cameras signal to the switcher. Care to share what it is?
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM   #19
Major Player

Hi Jason,

All cameras are wired.

I read your post about recording directly to PC, it's good you recorded to tape as well.
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:06 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Jason,

All cameras are wired.

I read your post about recording directly to PC, it's good you recorded to tape as well.
Backups. I'm all about backups.

So how does a roaming camera op on a steadicam get their feed back to the mixer via a wired connection with out that completely screwing with the balance of the system? Or was the roaming op not part of the live mix?
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:31 PM   #21
Major Player

Hey Jason,

I was thinking of the ENG guy shooting without a stabilizer, shooting using a shoulder mounted camera. Adding a stabilizer to the mix would be a challenge, you have to run down the cable along the stabilizer ( 2 cables if you're using component, one for the clearcom and one for the camera), you also need a wrangler for the cable. It would be a PAIN.
Old October 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Hey Jason,

I was thinking of the ENG guy shooting without a stabilizer, shooting using a shoulder mounted camera. Adding a stabilizer to the mix would be a challenge, you have to run down the cable along the stabilizer ( 2 cables if you're using component, one for the clearcom and one for the camera), you also need a wrangler for the cable. It would be a PAIN.
Ok a shoulder mounted system made more sense. I recently ran across a coax broadcaster to send the video + audio signal to a receiver. Very interesting. The price was only $100 or so, and would substantially pump up the mobility & utility of a live broadcast.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques