How do you guys handle a live video feed request? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:08 PM   #16
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 789
Hi Jason,

Yup that would be a roving camera, normally he gets the brunt of the shoot as he/she has to hand carry and be very mobile. The mini-dv decks would be stand alone recorders, 2nd deck would start recording when there's a minute left (tape wise) in deck 1. For back-ups each Camera can do an Independent record as well.

I have no experience recording straight to PC at all.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM   #17
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Hi Jason,

Yup that would be a roving camera, normally he gets the brunt of the shoot as he/she has to hand carry and be very mobile. The mini-dv decks would be stand alone recorders, 2nd deck would start recording when there's a minute left (tape wise) in deck 1. For back-ups each Camera can do an Independent record as well.

I have no experience recording straight to PC at all.
I tried it a few weeks ago. Worked pretty well, though was major hassle to tear down the office, setup on location, tear down at location, and re-setup back in the office.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM   #18
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Hi Jason,

Yup that would be a roving camera, normally he gets the brunt of the shoot as he/she has to hand carry and be very mobile. The mini-dv decks would be stand alone recorders, 2nd deck would start recording when there's a minute left (tape wise) in deck 1. For back-ups each Camera can do an Independent record as well.

I have no experience recording straight to PC at all.
I also assume you have some device that transmits the eng cameras signal to the switcher. Care to share what it is?
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:55 PM   #19
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 789
Hi Jason,

All cameras are wired.

I read your post about recording directly to PC, it's good you recorded to tape as well.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM   #20
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Hi Jason,

All cameras are wired.

I read your post about recording directly to PC, it's good you recorded to tape as well.
Backups. I'm all about backups.

So how does a roaming camera op on a steadicam get their feed back to the mixer via a wired connection with out that completely screwing with the balance of the system? Or was the roaming op not part of the live mix?
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:31 PM   #21
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 789
Hey Jason,

I was thinking of the ENG guy shooting without a stabilizer, shooting using a shoulder mounted camera. Adding a stabilizer to the mix would be a challenge, you have to run down the cable along the stabilizer ( 2 cables if you're using component, one for the clearcom and one for the camera), you also need a wrangler for the cable. It would be a PAIN.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:39 PM   #22
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Hey Jason,

I was thinking of the ENG guy shooting without a stabilizer, shooting using a shoulder mounted camera. Adding a stabilizer to the mix would be a challenge, you have to run down the cable along the stabilizer ( 2 cables if you're using component, one for the clearcom and one for the camera), you also need a wrangler for the cable. It would be a PAIN.
Ok a shoulder mounted system made more sense. I recently ran across a coax broadcaster to send the video + audio signal to a receiver. Very interesting. The price was only $100 or so, and would substantially pump up the mobility & utility of a live broadcast.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network