DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   website ?'s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/114212-website-s.html)

Stephen J. Williams February 7th, 2008 01:13 PM

website ?'s

I asked this on another forum and i was pretty pleased with the response. I'm looking to basically have my own site where i can post sample vid's and contact info.
when i asked this on another board they set me up with a wordpress account... which seemed great for me. since everything was real easy to operate.
the problem is i cant seem to upload video's. they say there to big. It wont let me upload anything higher then 5mb (which obviously wont work)....

Now i'm looking for plan B. Any idea's
steve

Brandon Hammonds February 7th, 2008 02:14 PM

Are you hosting with wordpress or just using it as a platform? (Do you have a yourname.wordpress.com domain name?) If it's on wordpress, they might be restricting file sizes. You may need to host the site yourself and then set up wordpress on your own server.

It's actually pretty east to do. You can host with a company like 1&1 and then use this guide to set up wordpress.

Philip Gioja February 7th, 2008 02:16 PM

You could get a Facebook or Myspace, or upload to YouTube or Google Video and link to it from your wordpress -- this would keep it easy to update. I'm not sure, but you might even be able to get some code that would embed that in your page, but not have to upload it to wordpress.

Or, if you're brave, you could try to learn a little HTML and put a page or two together and get your own domain name and hosting account.

Mark Williams February 7th, 2008 02:34 PM

I would link to vimeo.com. Its free with 500mb upload limit per week. You can upload SD or HD. Re-encoding by the site is vastly superior to other free sites. In other words you video will look really good.

Stephen J. Williams February 8th, 2008 12:56 AM

thanks for the help... my domain is dvcreators.tv/swilliams.... so i'm ""hosted"".
If nothing pans out within the next few days i'll look at the options you guys listed... thanks again

Stephen J. Williams February 9th, 2008 01:12 PM

Brandon,
i took your advice and went with 1&1. Everything seems to be set up... right now i'm trying to upload a video onto the site using my FTP. Does anyone know the next step. I've searched the internet for hours regarding this and nothing has come up :-(
I'm using a mac
steve

John Moon February 9th, 2008 01:25 PM

Stephen:
I believe for wordpress you must upgrade your account so that it will let you upload video. If you have the free version it will not allow you. One thing you might check out is www.bludomain.com , very stylish clean sites. You can still keep the wordpress account as your blog and still upload your most recent work.

Stephen J. Williams February 9th, 2008 03:00 PM

i'm hosted by 1&1... and i've already uploaded a video onto the site.. the problem is connecting it with a link or tag...
actually there are a million problems... i cant sign on to edit my wordpress account. when i type in my domain name nothing comes up...
so frustrating there has to be an easier way... I already spent money on the 1&1 host account. so this really sucks.

Brandon Hammonds February 11th, 2008 12:37 PM

I see that your site is up. Are you still having issues?

You might find a stopgap solution here.Came across that when I google'd.

Just FYI...1&1's customer service has been reasonably good when I needed them a couple of times.

Stephen J. Williams February 12th, 2008 08:59 AM

brandon...
i agree with you about 1&1 customers service. I was trying to use wordpress that wasn't working out to well for me. I ended up using there website builder and have been pleased so far..