DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Sennheiser ew100 (not G2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/114463-sennheiser-ew100-not-g2.html)

Jack Tran February 10th, 2008 01:38 PM

Sennheiser ew100 (not G2)

Has anyone used one of these? (the first generation, NOT G2)
I tried to search old links, but i think back then everyone was refering to the G2.
Is the quality the same as the G2?
What are the differences? Only thing that i assume is that it runs on 9v.

There is a guy selling it locally, it comes with the transmitter, reciever & lav mic, and the transmitter that attaches to any xlr mic.
Havent seen it, but he says $400.

Worth taking a look at, or just add some more fore the G2?

Mark Von Lanken February 11th, 2008 12:04 AM

Hi Jack,

I have two or the older older units and two of the newer G2s. I have not heard any difference in quality between the two models. For the most part I like the G2s better. AA batteries are cheaper and run longer than 9 volt batteries. The G2 is smaller and comes with a shoe mount. If you are shooting with a shoulder mount camera, this is not as much of an issue.

Here's what I like about the older units. There is a knob on the receiver to adjust the volume. You can control the G2s volume, but you have to go into the menu, which is not as easy to do on the fly. It is also very easy to switch channels on the older units. Just push the up or down arrow button. On the G2 you can change channels, but again, it's within the menu.

You may not need to change channels during a live shoot, but this was my workflow with the older units. I would run two receivers and three transmitters for the wedding ceremony. One transmitter and receiver for the minister. A second transmitter and receiver for the Groom. Then I would run a third transmitter, an XLR plug, on the strings or PA system for the special music.

This is where the older system would really shine. When I needed to change from the Grooms mic to the strings or PA sytems XLR mic, I just had to push the up or down channel selector button on the receiver. When the music was over, I changed the receiver back to the Grooms channel.

So in a sense, with the older units, I was able to run two transmitters with just one receiver. You just cannot receive two sources at the same time with just one receiver.

Jack Tran February 11th, 2008 01:34 PM

thanks for the info, ive decided to add some more for the G2.
But wow!, i believe the ew100 G1 is almost 5 or 6 years yet its still running!
These Sennheisers much be rock solid equipments!

Frank Simpson February 12th, 2008 11:27 PM

I have regularly used the EW100s (4 of them) for live performance as well as for video recording. The G2s are great from what I hear, but the EW100s are so rock solid I've not seen any need to replace them! Sennheiser has never let me down!