first wedding rant - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 1st, 2003, 09:42 AM   #16
Major Player

Dont worry about it. Learn from your mistakes. You were not getting paid alot and the bride and groom knew you were not a pro.
I always get with the wedding photographer and make sure we don't get in each others way. I go for all the main shots. If you can get all of those you are doing pretty good. That's one reason I get with the photographer. They have all the pictures the bride and groom want. I like to make the video a story of what went on that day. Not any interviews, just all the events of the wedding day and always get lots of video of the bride and groom. Don't worry about grandma and aunt jane. They are not paying for the video.

I try not to use a light. One wedding the lights were all left on till some of the dances and then they really made it dark. So instead of the XL1 I just grabbed the Sony I have with nightshot. It looked kind of green but I got the shot and the bride and groom never said anything. But I think the best way is just ask them to keep the lights up until you get the main shoots.

Then edit, edit, edit
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 04:48 PM   #17
Major Player

Ok, I've had plenty of "challenges" but also one that worked to my advantage. Happened at my brother-in-laws (drafted to shoot it for free) wedding. My wife (his sister) was the "Best Person". As such she was second to walk down the isle. She arrived next to her bro an he asked "You've got the ring, right?". Since I had him mic'ed I heard her wispered "NO" response but no one else did. I yanked the ear buds, framed a decent shot of the arriving attendants and sprinted for the ring (hotel room about 200 yrds away). By the time I got back, the bride had just begun walking so all eyes were on her as I went around the side and handed the ring to my wife. The three of us were the only ones that knew about it till after the ceremony and we all shared plenty of laughs. Guess it shows that monitoring your audio can pay off in more ways than one!
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Regarding length:

I also just did my first wedding shoot. Still doing post, since it is in my spare time, but I figured I would go for 2 cuts. A long one that will probably only interest the B & G at about 1,5 hours, and a version they can show to family and friends at about 40 minutes.

From what I have heard, when the bride has seen 2 hours of footage from her day, she will immediately ask: "where is the rest?"

Hans Henrik
Hans Henrik Bang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques